bacterial infection? need help please

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so i have a yellow scopas tang that is in copper power atm he is with 3 other tangs and 3 wrasses in a 50gal 4foot tank they also all went threw metro mix in food for 21days ( now finished ) i noticed about 2-3 days ago a red rash looking thing on his rear end up close it is bumpy with tiny black dots on some of the bumps kinda like pimples and red/swollen

i live in canada super hard to source meds i had ruby reef rally pro on hand and was told by @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 that was safe to use with copper so im on day 2 of the RRR i have seen no improvment in the marks tho sofar going to keep going a few days and hope for the best i also found a website where i can order pure kanamycin sulfate so im going to order some and hopfully can get here in time the fish is still swimming eating and acting normal i was wondering if anyone had any other inputs to make and also is this contagious can it spread to my other fish should i try and seperate him or its too late its in water and should treat all other at this point ?

Attachments

• IMG_5518.mov
    3.3 MB
  • IMG_5513.mov
    5.5 MB
  • IMG_5524.mov
    7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Kanamyacin sulphate at 32% is the content in Kanaplex and can be mixed with coppersafe

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should be. Check this source also

OP
OP
X

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be. Check this source also

hey i dont see the Kanamyacin sulphate on the site you sent me so il just get from that other one they offer express shipping also was wondering do you think this is contagious should i treat the whole tank ( all other fishes ) or take out the tang and treat in a 20 gal ? appreciate all the help !

also would you recomend i pick up any other meds while i order ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hey i dont see the Kanamyacin sulphate on the site you sent me so il just get from that other one they offer express shipping also was wondering do you think this is contagious should i treat the whole tank ( all other fishes ) or take out the tang and treat in a 20 gal ? appreciate all the help !

also would you recomend i pick up any other meds while i order ?
Again - Need clearer and better pics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so i have a yellow scopas tang that is in copper power atm he is with 3 other tangs and 3 wrasses in a 50gal 4foot tank they also all went threw metro mix in food for 21days ( now finished ) i noticed about 2-3 days ago a red rash looking thing on his rear end up close it is bumpy with tiny black dots on some of the bumps kinda like pimples and red/swollen

i live in canada super hard to source meds i had ruby reef rally pro on hand and was told by @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 that was safe to use with copper so im on day 2 of the RRR i have seen no improvment in the marks tho sofar going to keep going a few days and hope for the best i also found a website where i can order pure kanamycin sulfate so im going to order some and hopfully can get here in time the fish is still swimming eating and acting normal i was wondering if anyone had any other inputs to make and also is this contagious can it spread to my other fish should i try and seperate him or its too late its in water and should treat all other at this point ?

That looks like what we call "septicemia", (which is not really an accurate term), Zebrasoma tangs get this frequently while in quarantine. In minor cases, I just tell people to "wait and see", but this is a severe case.

First off, does the water check out fine, no ammonia? Environmental problems seem to be the root cause for many of these cases.

It is unlikely to be "contagious" in that the bacteria involved would have been a species normally present in aquariums, and one that just began infecting this fish due to the species being succeptable.

I agree that kanamycin would be a likely antibiotic to use against this problem.

Jay

OP
OP
X

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like what we call "septicemia", (which is not really an accurate term), Zebrasoma tangs get this frequently while in quarantine. In minor cases, I just tell people to "wait and see", but this is a severe case.

First off, does the water check out fine, no ammonia? Environmental problems seem to be the root cause for many of these cases.

It is unlikely to be "contagious" in that the bacteria involved would have been a species normally present in aquariums, and one that just began infecting this fish due to the species being succeptable.

I agree that kanamycin would be a likely antibiotic to use against this problem.

Jay
Yes the water is clean ammonia wise iv been testing with salifert and always reads cloudy white ( 0 )

I did order kana waiting on that to come in hopfully makes it till then
he is in copper and i am treating with RRR that is all i had on hand 2 doses so far to the qt i am not seeing sign of improvment nor signs of it getting worse tho

The fish is still eating but i noticed he does hide in plastic pipe abit more then he use to
All other fish seem inphased atm

I have had this fish for about 2 months he came straight from the philippines i ordered a few fish from wholesale ( buddy has a small store ) if that changes anything hes been showing this for 5~ish days now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the water is clean ammonia wise iv been testing with salifert and always reads cloudy white ( 0 )

I did order kana waiting on that to come in hopfully makes it till then
he is in copper and i am treating with RRR that is all i had on hand 2 doses so far to the qt i am not seeing sign of improvment nor signs of it getting worse tho

The fish is still eating but i noticed he does hide in plastic pipe abit more then he use to
All other fish seem inphased atm

I have had this fish for about 2 months he came straight from the philippines i ordered a few fish from wholesale ( buddy has a small store ) if that changes anything hes been showing this for 5~ish days now
And did it gradually getting worse over this five days, or did it show up suddenly?

RRR isn’t a very strong antibiotic, how long till you get the Kanaplex?

Jay

OP
OP
X

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And did it gradually getting worse over this five days, or did it show up suddenly?

RRR isn’t a very strong antibiotic, how long till you get the Kanaplex?

Jay
Yea kinda got worse over time not 100% sure tho cause i randomly caught it when feeding the fish my light for my qt isnt super strong so might of not noticed it at first

I know RRR isnt super effective but only thing i had so thought id give it a try

For the kana im not sure ordered it last night paid for express shipping but coming from boston area and im in canada have not yet received the tracking for it ( prob will go out monday i assume )

Anything eles i can do from now til then ? The fish is eating swims normal but i feel he hides abit more in his pipe then he use to

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea kinda got worse over time not 100% sure tho cause i randomly caught it when feeding the fish my light for my qt isnt super strong so might of not noticed it at first

I know RRR isnt super effective but only thing i had so thought id give it a try

For the kana im not sure ordered it last night paid for express shipping but coming from boston area and im in canada have not yet received the tracking for it ( prob will go out monday i assume )

Anything eles i can do from now til then ? The fish is eating swims normal but i feel he hides abit more in his pipe then he use to
No, I can’t think of anything to do for it now….

Jay

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also understand that the signs that your Scopas tang shows are of septicemia, in any case I was sure that Nitrofurazone can treat the disease, although possibly this is a more serious issue, possibly Jay can explain if nitrofurazone can work here.

OP
OP
X

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also understand that the signs that your Scopas tang shows are of septicemia, in any case I was sure that Nitrofurazone can treat the disease, although possibly this is a more serious issue, possibly Jay can explain if nitrofurazone can work here.
Got kana and prazi on the way

OP
OP
X

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again - Need clearer and better pics
I think these are better also the videos are clearer for some reason IMG_5536.jpeg IMG_5541.jpeg IMG_5543.jpeg IMG_5544.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5539.mov
    22.7 MB
  • IMG_5538.mov
    64.3 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Treat as recommended

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes- ruby takes longer to work but helps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back