Bacterial infection.

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This was aquired 1 week ago from a local importer. Found out their husbandry practices are substandard afterwards. I won’t go into specific details, but they don’t use copper therapeutically. Needless to say, the specimen is eating as of yesterday. Had a arrived with some active infection of Cryptocaryon irritans. This bacterial infection has appeared today likely secondary from Cryptocaryon irritans infection i would guess. The specimen is around 8-9”. Will neomycin sulfate be an acceptable option?

I have on hand neoplex.

Also have on hand cephalexin, ciprofloxacin, kanaplex, amoxicillin, nitrofurazone, enrofloxian.

Can someone confirm the dosage of Neoplex? It seems under dosed for neomycin sulfate.

I would prefer to does the entire aquarium, because there are some other specimens from the same supplier, and I suspiciously one of the specimens acquired had perished from a strange neurological problem that I now suspect was an internal bacterial infection. There was a small mark along the dorsal region, just above the spinal cord.

Not overly concerned with my bacterial filtration, can monitor ammonia, just wondering if cirpo might be a better choice.

IMG_9517.jpeg IMG_9516.jpeg IMG_9515.jpeg IMG_9514.jpeg IMG_9513.jpeg IMG_9512.jpeg IMG_9511.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This was aquired 1 week ago from a local importer. Found out their husbandry practices are substandard afterwards. I won’t go into specific details, but they don’t use copper therapeutically. Needless to say, the specimen is eating as of yesterday. Had a arrived with some active infection of Cryptocaryon irritans. This bacterial infection has appeared today likely secondary from Cryptocaryon irritans infection i would guess. The specimen is around 8-9”. Will neomycin sulfate be an acceptable option?

I have on hand neoplex.

Also have on hand cephalexin, ciprofloxacin, kanaplex, amoxicillin, nitrofurazone, enrofloxian.

Can someone confirm the dosage of Neoplex? It seems under dosed for neomycin sulfate.

I would prefer to does the entire aquarium, because there are some other specimens from the same supplier, and I suspiciously one of the specimens acquired had perished from a strange neurological problem that I now suspect was an internal bacterial infection. There was a small mark along the dorsal region, just above the spinal cord.

Not overly concerned with my bacterial filtration, can monitor ammonia, just wondering if cirpo might be a better choice.

IMG_9517.jpeg IMG_9516.jpeg IMG_9515.jpeg IMG_9514.jpeg IMG_9513.jpeg IMG_9512.jpeg IMG_9511.jpeg
The swelling suggests either post injury with infection or infection associated with water quality from shipper.
kanaplex in separate tank would be best treatment along with good water quality and diet

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are odd markings on the tang. What other fish have been in the tank with the tang? I do not see signs of ich? Did you treat for that? If so, how?

I would stay away from cipro. Until we have a better idea of what has caused the markings, medication is difficult to determine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have on hand neoplex.

Does the Neoplex box say how much "one scoop" weighs? It is about 45% active neomycin. The standard dose is 250mg/gallon.

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

No, it does not mention weight.
But I measured. Roughly 10 scoops is 1 gram.

Thus
10 scoops is 430mg neomycin sulfate.
1 scoop is 43mg neomycin sulfate.

Directions indicate 1 scope per 2 gallons.
21.5mg/gallon

Did they forget the ‘0’ behind the ‘1’?
IMG_9519.jpeg IMG_9518.jpeg

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those are odd markings on the tang. What other fish have been in the tank with the tang? I do not see signs of ich? Did you treat for that? If so, how?

I would stay away from cipro. Until we have a better idea of what has caused the markings, medication is difficult to determine.

Specimen has been in active copper treatment for one week.

It has been in isolation by itself, except for some royal gramma. Same at importer.

The specimen was not net transferred. It was transferred using a small bucket. So mechanical damage can likely be ruled out on my end.

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The other information I will add, this fish has been previously exposed to Nitrofurazone at wholesaler. Its, possible there could a issue with bacterial resistance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal, thanks for all the information as always.

But, can you confirm its 250mg per gallon, not 25mg per gallon.
So - when I wrote that, I looked it up in Ed Noga’s book and the double checked it against Herwig’s formulary - they both say 250 mg/gallon, I double checked this morning, and so does Kingston’s book. However, my own book says 25 mg/gallon. I should have gone with that! Noga’s book was handy, so I just used it. The 250 mg/gallon is well supported in the literature, but it does seem like a lot. I’m not sure where I got my 25 mg/gallon dose, it was in my personal formulary from many years ago.

Jay

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Jay Hemdal, thanks for the info.
I went ahead and dosed the system yesterday night at 25mg/gallon. As of yesterday, the fish still has a very good appetite. Hopefully he pulls through.

Bio filter most definitely took a small hit. No detectable ammonia. But, having bacterial bloom.

How soon should I repeat the dosage, interval water change?

This product says 7 and repeat. Other online resources say 24hrs.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

No, it does not mention weight.
But I measured. Roughly 10 scoops is 1 gram.

Thus
10 scoops is 430mg neomycin sulfate.
1 scoop is 43mg neomycin sulfate.

Directions indicate 1 scope per 2 gallons.
21.5mg/gallon

Did they forget the ‘0’ behind the ‘1’?
IMG_9519.jpeg IMG_9518.jpeg
If you're going to treat - I would use the directions on the bottle itself - making sure that you've correctly measured the volume of water in the tank. Neomycin and kanamycin are nearly the same drug - so I would follow the directions on the respective bottle. I would also watch carefully the size of the lesion - to make sure whatever you're doing is helping or not. The fish is large - and its certainly possible that it was injured during shipping - I don't see any wound that suggests a puncture, etc - so it may be analogous to a 'bruise' that may not need any treatment. Lastly - most bacterial infections are not 'catching', i.e. your other fish shouldn't necessarily need to be treated unless they have symptoms. I agree with the others that treatment in a hospital tank would be 'best'. EDIT - sorry I didn't see that you treated when I wrote this.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went ahead and dosed the system yesterday night at 25mg/gallon. As of yesterday, the fish still has a very good appetite. Hopefully he pulls through.

Bio filter most definitely took a small hit. No detectable ammonia. But, having bacterial bloom.

You should not have a bacterial bloom after using kanamycin or neomycin. Especially not so quickly. pS - I also meant to mention- to make sure your medications are not expired.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is acting fine, I am not sure if I would treat with antibiotics. However, since you started, you would need to finish the treatment anyways.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would follow the product labelling. The 250 mg/gallon dose is for 7 days, but I'm not sure about this lighter dose. You shouldn't have a bacterial bloom when dosing antibiotics, just keep an eye on the ammonia.

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The skin condition looks to be possibly improving. I switched to Baytril and isolated from bio filter today as a new symptom appeared. There appears to be a prolapse or distention of the anus. Looks like internal abdominal swelling. Specimen has not shown much interest in food today.

Dosage is 19mg/gallon of baytril.

Video was taken immediately after turning on lights, so I had at least a chance to capture a image.

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The skin lesions are improving.
However this other condition of prolapse seems to be declining. Ideas?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skin lesions are improving.
However this other condition of prolapse seems to be declining. Ideas?
Prolapses, originating as an internal issue, aren’t usually treatable. They can be caused by intestinal issues, but can also arise from issues with the reproductive track.
How is it looking worse? Is there an infection developing?

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Actually the original infection looks to be rebounding. See videos. The prolapse appears to be increasing in size.
Fish accepted the small amount of nori I offered yesterday.

The Baytril was dosed 3/5/24 @ ~10pm. 19mg/gallon.
Did not redoes or add preform water change yesterday. Ammonia was undetectable. Was planning on a 75% water change and dosing again at 19mg/gallon today. Seems like IM antibiotics might be a better option.

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

So I could possibly be dealing with two independent issues.

One related to an intestinal abnormality or foreign body, or infection of reproductive system.

And a bacterial infection that appears to be affecting the lateral line region of the specimen.

As this is a newly acquired specimen handled during collection with degassing of swim bladder, using a hypodermic needle. Normally, this is inserted at the region of the anus. I would imagine that it’s possible these issues could be correlated from common bacterial infection, originating from needling, your thoughts?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back