Bacterial infection?

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m guessing this is a bacterial infection? I treated with em erythromycin last night but the poor guy just got worst. I just pulled him to end his suffering. I want to try another one while I have a batch of live worms but will the infection still be in the qt tank or will the erytho kill off anything in the water. Also running hypo
Thanks
Jeff

35176F51-0C71-4901-926C-49F3F608E254.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Usually no. Bacterial infections (IME) come from a wound - or poor conditions overall or poor fish health. Do you have other fish in the tank? Are they ok? PS - erythromycin only treats certain things - it may be this infection was not sensitive to erythromycin. @Jay Hemdal

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased the copperband last Saturday. Ate some at first but got better. I added a diamond goby and three mollies on Wednesday to the qt tank and yesterday I noticed the skin bruising and the copper hiding. Not sure if the new fish brought something in or the copper had the infection already. The ethryo was all I had on hand last night.
thanks
Jeff

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased the copperband last Saturday. Ate some at first but got better. I added a diamond goby and three mollies on Wednesday to the qt tank and yesterday I noticed the skin bruising and the copper hiding. Not sure if the new fish brought something in or the copper had the infection already. The ethryo was all I had on hand last night.
thanks
Jeff
Why the mollies? (IMHO that was a small mistake - probably did not cause the issue) - but Mollies are sensitive to most saltwater fish illnesses - and thus - will catch - any multiply - any disease that might be in your tank (and on other fish). Normally mollies are added at the start - and if they don't get sick - the likelihood of parasites etc is lower. then they are removed. So just curious why you added them

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish is very thin and weak and appears to be hemorrhaging. Check your ammonia level to a assure it’s not ammonia burn.
How long has this been developing?
Has it been eating at all?

This fish is likely suffering from bacterial effect. Hemorrhagic Septicemia, also known as red streak due to the distinct red streaks that appear on your fish. If the bacteria enters your fishs’ circulatory system it will travel throughout, causing damage to body tissue, blood vessels, and the heart often resulting in internal bleeding.
This fish to be honest is in trouble.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why the mollies? (IMHO that was a small mistake - probably did not cause the issue) - but Mollies are sensitive to most saltwater fish illnesses - and thus - will catch - any multiply - any disease that might be in your tank (and on other fish). Normally mollies are added at the start - and if they don't get sick - the likelihood of parasites etc is lower. then they are removed. So just curious why you added them

I kept mollies when I was a kid and always loved black mollies. I saw the most beautiful male when I went to the store to buy the goby and thought why not. The copper didn’t make it. I want to try another but is there infection now in the qt tank that will kill another one? The tank is well cycled with no ammonia and the mollies and goby are doing great. is it a good idea to just have nfg or something else in the water before adding another copper?

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kept mollies when I was a kid and always loved black mollies. I saw the most beautiful male when I went to the store to buy the goby and thought why not. The copper didn’t make it. I want to try another but is there infection now in the qt tank that will kill another one? The tank is well cycled with no ammonia and the mollies and goby are doing great. is it a good idea to just have nfg or something else in the water before adding another copper?
I do not usually see 'bacterial infections' as contagious. Copperbands are hard - until you get them eating. Mine will ONLY eat frozen fish/shrimp (LRS) - but he eats literally a dime sized piece multiple times. If you want to wait a bit while you pick one out - perhaps at a local shop - thats eating well and healthy (if you can do that) - so much the better IMHO

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would it be an advantage to have kanaplex/furan/metroplex in the qt tank before add a new copper?
thanks
Jeff
IMHO - no. I think the best plan is to buy a known healthy fish... But - Many people recommend having some antibiotics on hand in general -not just for copper bands

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back