Bacterial infection??

bdayon36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my juvenile porcupine puffer has been in my display tank for about 3 weeks. i had a scopas tang i recently bought as well and it was bulling and nipping at the puffer. eventually he stopped eating and would curl up every time the tang came around. just yesterday i noticed in the morning he was laying on the ground with labored breathing. rushed to the store to get kanaplex but by the time i came back he was already gone. when i took him out i noticed in a matter of hours his tissue was almost eroded off of his body. this scares me but i am hoping that this only happened because of a bite he had from the tang. let me know what you guys think. also the tang is out of the tank i brought him back to my lfs but it was already too late for my puffer.

B2972EAE-442F-477B-BB66-68A6EA2940DF.jpeg 0CC3DA1D-91AE-4F20-8D3F-95FF0691AD52.jpeg

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, under unfortunate circumstances. So sorry for your loss. It is incredibly difficult to tell what exactly is going on.
Perhaps our resident fish Guru can chime in.
@Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
More than likely yes as they often succumb to such.
Sorry to see the end result

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my juvenile porcupine puffer has been in my display tank for about 3 weeks. i had a scopas tang i recently bought as well and it was bulling and nipping at the puffer. eventually he stopped eating and would curl up every time the tang came around. just yesterday i noticed in the morning he was laying on the ground with labored breathing. rushed to the store to get kanaplex but by the time i came back he was already gone. when i took him out i noticed in a matter of hours his tissue was almost eroded off of his body. this scares me but i am hoping that this only happened because of a bite he had from the tang. let me know what you guys think. also the tang is out of the tank i brought him back to my lfs but it was already too late for my puffer.

B2972EAE-442F-477B-BB66-68A6EA2940DF.jpeg 0CC3DA1D-91AE-4F20-8D3F-95FF0691AD52.jpeg
So this is a classic chicken and egg question. Did the scopas picking on the puffer cause the issue or did the issue make the puffer more an easy target of the tang?

Porcupines are really prone to disease, so you’ll want to keep a close eye on the scopas to watch it for issues. I would not rush out to buy other fish - I always wait a month if I’ve had a fish die from unknown issues.

Jay

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back