Bacto Balance, or Elimi-NP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowered to 20ml MB7 the past few days, continuing with 7ml BB, 2ml Elim. Past few days show NO3 slowly rising, whilst PO4 slowly dropping. Interesting trend. Trying to balance the nutrients maybe?

Think I'll move to 2x per week testing, since I'm not too concerned with nutrients moving quickly. Seems like a slow moving ship, which hopefully will sail me to the promise land someday. LOL.

1708710869140.png

1708710901193.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowered to 20ml MB7 the past few days, continuing with 7ml BB, 2ml Elim. Past few days show NO3 slowly rising, whilst PO4 slowly dropping. Interesting trend. Trying to balance the nutrients maybe?

Think I'll move to 2x per week testing, since I'm not too concerned with nutrients moving quickly. Seems like a slow moving ship, which hopefully will sail me to the promise land someday. LOL.

1708710869140.png

1708710901193.png
Slow is always better in this hobby! lol.. if you don’t have corals then yeah we can bring them down today with gfo and a huge water change but corals don’t like that kinda change.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the past week at 10ml MB7, continuing with 7ml BB, 2ml Elim.
Nutrients seemed to have leveled out, very little action.
NO3 37.7 to 36, PO4 0.53 to 0.52.

Options:

1. Go back to 20ml MB7 for another week to confirm MB7 effectiveness.
2. Keep MB7 at 10ml, increase Elim to 3ml, and decrease BB (to 5ml?).
3. Continue with 10ml MB7, 7ml BB, 2ml Elim to see a longer term trend.

Thoughts?

1709218695064.png

1709218745195.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the past week at 10ml MB7, continuing with 7ml BB, 2ml Elim.
Nutrients seemed to have leveled out, very little action.
NO3 37.7 to 36, PO4 0.53 to 0.52.

Options:

1. Go back to 20ml MB7 for another week to confirm MB7 effectiveness.
2. Keep MB7 at 10ml, increase Elim to 3ml, and decrease BB (to 5ml?).
3. Continue with 10ml MB7, 7ml BB, 2ml Elim to see a longer term trend.

Thoughts?

1709218695064.png

1709218745195.png
How does your tank look? Is it accepting the change and looking better or worse..

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does your tank look? Is it accepting the change and looking better or worse..
Definitely better water quality, and corals like this scheme, shown by brightening up, and better colors. There is a little brown algae forming on the glass, which I never had before.

Fish and inverts are fine. Some rock work which was on the browner side is getting less brown and showing whiteness. Coralline algae is also breaking up in some places and being replaced by a light sandlike color.

Overall seems fine though.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely better water quality, and corals like this scheme, shown by brightening up, and better colors. There is a little brown algae forming on the glass, which I never had before.

Fish and inverts are fine. Some rock work which was on the browner side is getting less brown and showing whiteness. Coralline algae is also breaking up in some places and being replaced by a light sandlike color.

Overall seems fine though.
I’d say stay on your path of bringing them down to level you want and then just stick with bacto balance and the mb7 once it’s where your tank looks the best. The numbers you’re at are pretty solid looking at most of the tanks today. Mine personally runs much lower nitrates but my p04 finally stabilized around yours after using reef roids for awhile cause it was bottomed out.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say stay on your path of bringing them down to level you want and then just stick with bacto balance and the mb7 once it’s where your tank looks the best. The numbers you’re at are pretty solid looking at most of the tanks today. Mine personally runs much lower nitrates but my p04 finally stabilized around yours after using reef roids for awhile cause it was bottomed out.
Okay thanks, I'll stay the course.

I've also noticed the skimmer cup fills up with bubbles that do not burst. This morning when I went to clean the skimmer cup (every 4 days), I noticed that the bubbles were packed in so much that they reached the air output in the cover, which pushes oxygen to my moisture collector, the output of which then goes to my co2 scrubber to recirculate to the skimmer.

The moisture collector seems to fill up more lately due to the bubbles reaching that output. I think those bubbles had been impeding the flow of oxygen to some extent, which could have possibly had a negative effect on nutrient reduction by limiting oxygen to the bacteria.

Maybe I'm using too much BB which is causing this bubble excess?

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks, I'll stay the course.

I've also noticed the skimmer cup fills up with bubbles that do not burst. This morning when I went to clean the skimmer cup (every 4 days), I noticed that the bubbles were packed in so much that they reached the air output in the cover, which pushes oxygen to my moisture collector, the output of which then goes to my co2 scrubber to recirculate to the skimmer.

The moisture collector seems to fill up more lately due to the bubbles reaching that output. I think those bubbles had been impeding the flow of oxygen to some extent, which could have possibly had a negative effect on nutrient reduction by limiting oxygen to the bacteria.

Maybe I'm using too much BB which is causing this bubble excess?
From reading around, it seems like this overproduction of bubbles, to the extent where it packs the skimmer cup, could be due to too much carbon dosing. So I am going to reduce the BB to 4ml, increase the Elim to 3ml, and keep the MB7 at 10ml. I started MB7 around the same time as BB, so MB7 could be a contributing factor, but I'd like to keep the MB7 dosage the same so I don't introduce another variable.

I never had this problem when solely dosing Elim for the first month of this year, so I'm comfortable increasing the Elim dosage without affecting the bubble production. It's either too much BB or too much MB7, or a combo.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading around, it seems like this overproduction of bubbles, to the extent where it packs the skimmer cup, could be due to too much carbon dosing. So I am going to reduce the BB to 4ml, increase the Elim to 3ml, and keep the MB7 at 10ml. I started MB7 around the same time as BB, so MB7 could be a contributing factor, but I'd like to keep the MB7 dosage the same so I don't introduce another variable.

I never had this problem when solely dosing Elim for the first month of this year, so I'm comfortable increasing the Elim dosage without affecting the bubble production. It's either too much BB or too much MB7, or a combo.
It’s not a bad idea since they might be counteracting each other.. you could prolly stop the bactobalance till there down and then switch from elim to straight bacto. If my memory serves me correct bacto has n03 and p04 in it to keep from bottoming out.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a bad idea since they might be counteracting each other.. you could prolly stop the bactobalance till there down and then switch from elim to straight bacto. If my memory serves me correct bacto has n03 and p04 in it to keep from bottoming out.
My thought was to try to keep the nutrients in balance whilst lowering them, so was going for the best of both worlds. I never tried just Elimi and MB7 without the BB. I'll see how this goes for a week, and keep that in mind for the next trial. :expressionless-face:

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decreasing BB from 7ml to 4ml along with increasing Elim from 2ml to 3ml caused an increase in nutrients as shown in the jump in the charts below. After seeing that, I put the BB back to 7ml and kept the Elim at 3ml, and that has brought PO4 back down to where I started before the change, and NO3 even a little lower.

So for my tank, Elim by itself did not work, and this past change shows that removing BB does not work either. It is the combination of both that is working for me. I will stay on the same plan (BB=7ml, Elim=3ml, MB7=10ml) for a while, since this combo has shown to be my only working formula.

1709823230519.png

1709823261754.png

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steady progress over the past month with BB=7 (around the clock), Elim=3 (1.5 2x per day), and MB7=5 (right after first Elim dose). Believe there is lots of PO4 in the rock work, as a few which were darkish are turning white, and have coralline in places. This is working but just takes a lot of time and patience. Water is very clear, inhabitants are doing well, parameters are steady. Skimming seems more efficient, and skimmate has been getting darker and more flecky over the past couple of weeks. Getting there.

1712243511766.png

1712243570263.png

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I started Bacto Balance last week and have been tracking. Too early to tell. I have PO4 problem with the rocks too. I’ve been using phos-ban once a week but it just shoots back up after a few days.

64CF3B00-D2C1-46C5-ACD3-128E7FE0F290.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back