Bad fish

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 2 clowns and iv had 2 damsels for a while and now the damsels are attacking the clowns and won't let them go near the rock. My question is will they stop or do I need to get rid of them?
Or could I get an anemone and that protect them?

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fairly common beginner mistake (I did the same). Damsel fish in general are super aggressive, but many people have success when adding them last. They're tough little guys to catch, so maybe try doing a little aquascape re-arranging to shake things up and change their territory. Otherwise, yup, you'll likely need to put a lot of rock out and to catch them.

You can try the nem, but there is no guarantee the clowns will host.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll improve success keeping damsels in larger aquarium. You can try moving some of the rock work around to disrupt territories. In the long run though each damsel is going to defend their territory. As for acquiring a anemone I certainly would not unless your tank is old enough to house an anemone successfully long term. You think Damsels are trouble, wait until you worry over an anemone.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

As for getting an anemone -- protecting the clowns, alone, wouldn't be a reason to get one. They aren't the easiest things to care for, and require a proper environment.

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

As for getting an anemone -- protecting the clowns, alone, wouldn't be a reason to get one. They aren't the easiest things to care for, and require a proper environment.

Plus they tromp over everything!

OP
OP
jboone82590

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 and I have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to take them out and take them to a LFS and just be done with it

OP
OP
jboone82590

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I won't be putting anything else in this tank just the clowns that are in there maybe a few move soft coral and a few inverts but that's it

Back