Bad hawkfish

mikeymushrooms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new arc eye hawkish that’s about 3 inches and it had my chalk bass in its mouth!! I was able to save my chalk bass but what the heck my chalk bass is about the same size as the hawk fish, I also feed them a lot so idk what is going on

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, Hawkfish are predator fish and can be “opportunistic” little nightmares. That being said, I’ve had several over the years that were model tank mates (except shrimp and cuc).

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is doing exactly what one would expect him to do. Hawk fish eat anything breathing that hey can fit in their mouth.
Well, Hawkfish are predator fish and can be “opportunistic” little nightmares. That being said, I’ve had several over the years that were model tank mates (except shrimp and cuc).
Yep...yep...went through 2 Hawks over the years...really cool good fish.

Unless you have Shrimps and CUCs...they will make them an expensive dinner for you.

OP
OP
mikeymushrooms

mikeymushrooms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...yep...went through 2 Hawks over the years...really cool good fish.

Unless you have Shrimps and CUCs...they will make them an expensive dinner for you.
I’m sad cuz he attacked and killed my Banggai and coral beauty angel !!they are the same size as the hawkfish I’m like what the heck!!! I tried to put the hurt fish in my smaller 20gal to recover but they didn’t make it. Now I’m gonna keep my main display tank (50gal) with maybe similar aggression fish …. Sigh

OP
OP
mikeymushrooms

mikeymushrooms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is doing exactly what one would expect him to do. Hawkfish eat anything breathing that hey can fit in their mouth.
I’m sad cuz he attacked and killed my Banggai and coral beauty angel !!they are the same size as the hawkfish I’m like what the heck!!! I tried to put the hurt fish in my smaller 20gal to recover but they didn’t make it. Now I’m gonna keep my main display tank (50gal) with maybe similar aggression fish …. Sigh

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new arc eye hawkish that’s about 3 inches and it had my chalk bass in its mouth!! I was able to save my chalk bass but what the heck my chalk bass is about the same size as the hawk fish, I also feed them a lot so idk what is going on
I loved..... and then hated both hawkfish I have had (longnose and flame).

They were just ***holes to everyone in the tank.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any predator fish, given the opportunity, will do what its DNA tells it to do. Some people get lucky, but most of the time the animals behave as their evolution has taught them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back