Bad heater?

DiverGirl82

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2015
Messages
904
Reaction score
355
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brand new 50w finnex heater I have in my QT says it's 79°. However, 2 digital thermometers say it's 77°. Who do I believe? I had the heater set to 78° but saw the thermometer said 77.1 so I bumped it up to 79°.

1445270703299.jpg


1445270721454.jpg
 
They are probably all correct. The issue is the error bounds for each. My Finnex is +/- 1 degrees. That means if the real temp is 79, it could read anywhere from 78 to 80.

The only real way to know is with a calibrated thermometer.
 
How far away is the probe from the element? Also is the probe in direct current?
It took me a lot of trial and error to get my probe placed in the proper position as to not pick up the element heat.
 
It's only a 10g tank so they're pretty close. Maybe 5-6 inches. I've got the heater in the middle and the thermometer on the side.
 
That happens to me alot. Which ones right??? I just had a heater stop working temp was down to 69 before I caught it. The little light on the heater was still on. It's better to error on the cold side, than to cook everything.
 
Now the brand new 200w finnex heater in my dt is doing the same thing. I bumped it up to 79° and the digital thermometer says it's only 77.5°.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new