Bad nero 5 pump motor

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to share a picture of one of my nero 5 pumps motors. I took it apart the other day for a good cleaning and found the sealed part of the motor had gotten water into it and the magnet has rusted and cracked the plastic housing. I really like these pumps and am bad about cleaning them so I will need to be more diligent about my maintenance. I emailed ai and will be curious as to what their response will be.
Jeff
IMG_3253.jpg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand how it cracked. They are difficult to get the fan off the motor

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the propeller came off easily. Im sure if I had let it go longer it would have swollen and it would have faulted out since it wouldnt of been able to spin. My concern would have been the rust issue in my tank.
Jeff

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u ever get resolution? I have a Nero 5 that has failed in nearly same way.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like mine would need a new impeller as well, inside of the impellar is all gouged up from the housing being out of round. I don't think I'll dump any more money into Ai pumps as this one barely made it 2 years and I keep my pumps clean

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four nero 5s in two tanks. Looks like it's time for an inspection.
I don't see what keeping them clean has to do with this issue tho. Just saying

I wonder if the jebao knock offs are having this issue :thinking-face:

EDIT : I saw another post a few days ago where one failed and the member broke it open and I looked like rusty mud inside.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the post. It was a nero 3 but they look to be built the same. I sure hope this isn't the start of a trend.

After 5 broken MP10 wet sides in a year I decided to trade those in for a set of Nero 3’s. After a little over a year one of the Nero’s has already died and since it’s dead I decided to take a hammer to and and see what’s inside. Inside the pump is wet, rusty, and filled with a sand like material that has a weird smell. I have no idea what they’re putting in these pumps but it definitely has to be leaching into the tank.
IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u ever get resolution? I have a Nero 5 that has failed in nearly same way.
I emailed AI and asked about a new motor and they replied with this.
"A new motor assembly for a Nero 3 is about $53."

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The exact same thing just happened to mine. Literally did a double take, when I saw your picture. I am actually pretty disappointed with the quality of the motor. I have an MP 10 that is still going strong after 10 years, same wet and dry side. This thing only lasted 3, originally purchase from BRS, about the same as jebao's I've owned in the past. Mine was leaching metal and rust into the system. All SPS bleached out, some died. Not cool. Won't be using Nero's ever again.

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I emailed AI and asked about a new motor and they replied with this.
"A new motor assembly for a Nero 3 is about $53."
I also have a Nero 3 that will spin for a split second and stop with no error lights. Support thought the motor to be bad but if I bought a new motor it wasn’t able to be returned if it didn’t fix it. I wasn’t willing to take the gamble of spending $70 and have it still not work.

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Nero 3 that will spin for a split second and stop with no error lights. Support thought the motor to be bad but if I bought a new motor it wasn’t able to be returned if it didn’t fix it. I wasn’t willing to take the gamble of spending $70 and have it still not work.
That's good to know, ill test my working motor with the controller from the one that quit before i order one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back