Bad Reef Tank Pictures - Apple and Samsung Camera demo

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is obviously not just about lighting and livestock, but I think it's interesting.

We've all seen the terrible blue blob pictures that people post - where everything is washed out to blue/purple. And having a Samsung Galaxy, I notice that the most blue pics usually come from iPhones.
So I thought I'd see if I could use some diffraction gratings to demonstrate how differently the samsung vs apple cameras handle the blue end of our reef light spectrum.
Check it out.
Samsung_iPad_spectrum.jpg
Check the pics on the right. These are taken through a diffraction grating so the rainbow you see is the spectra of the LED lights. Note how the blues as seen in the iPad are washed out and overblown compared to all other colors.
The pics on the left show how this appears in our tank pics. Although the light is heavy blue, the galaxy manages to record a few different shades of white, tan, cream, gray, and purple. The iPad renders them all nearly the same blue/purple.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an Android so I can't comment much. Would be interesting to have a fix tho.

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a galaxy s8+. Not only are the colors pretty good, but the pro mode allows for really good exposure settings for good detail. I've noticed that it doesn't handle blue perfectly however but rarely do I have a giant problem. Mostly when it's all blue light. I run a white and blue t5 all day. Another consideration is the ability to use a RAW file on my phone.
37c84586140c1fc7d7ad8e2580918752.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back