New tank and new live rock LED acclimation

cgarr017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Just starting up a new reef tank after being out of the hobby for 10 years. A lot has changed! Back then I ran metal halides with actinics, now I have 2x Reefi Uno 2.0 pros mounted 16" above my 150gallon tank (6'x2'x2'). I have live rock coming soon from TBsaltwater.com and trying to figure out what LED lighting schedule to start off with to properly acclimate. There are two preset schedules that come with the Reefis, one for SPS and one for LPS. Figured it was a safe bet to start with LPS schedule, but I'm also curious if I need to be limiting the duration and intensity of the lighting even further for the new live rock. See photo below for the preset schedule for LPS. There's a setting for acclimation that I can change to 50% for x number of days. I also think I will like more whites and less blues on my tank. How would the overall PAR change if for example I raise the whites (cool, warm, amber, lime) +20% and lower the blues (Blue, R Blue, violet, 420 nm, 400nm) -20%?
Thanks!
IMG_1346.jpeg

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no need to acclimate rock that’s for corals. To prevent algae used to be a thing to keep lights off thinking it would prevent the ugly stage but it only delays it. As far as intensity you need a par meter or at least find some par information as to percentage at depth and so forth.

OP
OP
C

cgarr017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Without a PAR meter, any idea if wattage for high blues/low whites comes out to similar PAR at roughly the same wattage but high whites/low blues? See attached photo for a custom schedule and intensities that look aesthetically best to my eye. Any issues with these intensities/ratios that will be used for a newly established tank running primarily LPS and easy corals to start with?
1701212915981.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Without a PAR meter, any idea if wattage for high blues/low whites comes out to similar PAR at roughly the same wattage but high whites/low blues? See attached photo for a custom schedule and intensities that look aesthetically best to my eye. Any issues with these intensities/ratios that will be used for a newly established tank running primarily LPS and easy corals to start with?
1701212915981.png

Blue light is stronger than non blue for photosynthesis in corals so a lower par value from blue should be equal to a higher par value in white light.

OP
OP
C

cgarr017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light is stronger than non blue for photosynthesis in corals so a lower par value from blue should be equal to a higher par value in white light.
Thanks. Any issues that stand out with the 2nd photo of color intensities and ratios for a newly established tank with mainly LPS and easy stuff to start?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reach out to Daniel from Reefi, he can probably help you. But if you want to invest in something helpful, check out the PARwise, it's a great tool for lighting and can help you figure out intensity, spectrum, etc. I think CoralVue had an open box special on these?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lights on the new rock for the first 2-3 weeks. You'll want a ton of flow and your skimmer tuned for this period. Take that time to look for unwanted guests and remove them. Have plenty of salt on hand as daily water changes should be performed to rid the tank of ammonia asap. The quicker you cure the rock the more life you'll save.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back