Baffle height help/ new sump

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am building a new 55g sump and need a little help. I know there are pros and cons about open and baffled sumps so this isn't my issue. I want the baffles and am sure of any info for upgrades.

I want to split this tank 3 ways; drains and skimmer/fuge/return. 18"/20"/10"

The ATO and all reactors will dump into the fuge and return sections as well as future dosing. I also would like it to hold as much water for the fuge area that it can. The 1st chamber will need to be at at least 9" water height but can be more since I haven't made the stand yet.

My question:
How and at what heights do I set the baffles to do what I want to do?

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to have enough room for the water that drains down if you turn your pump off or lose power. I think mine are 10". I wouldnt dump ato and dosing in the fuge Id do it in the pump section. I was dumping alk in the fuge and it would build up on the cheato instead of mixing in the water.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I will be running the reactors for gac and gfo (maybe) on the fuge side. Dosing, ato, bio pellets and kalk on the return side. Or maybe all of it on the return.

I am just not sure of the right way to do the baffles. How high/low, how tall each needs to be, if I need 2 or 3 on each separation and so on.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking it would be about that height. I have a 180g this is going under so you are correct that I will need room for the run off. I may just stay at the 9" it's at right now in the 30g and 125g dt.

So basically for the 1st chamber I will need the top of the 1st panel/baffle at 9" correct?

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the next off the floor how much? Does it matter and what about the distance apart from each panel? I am thinking I will need 3 panels between the 1st and 2nd chambers and 2 between the fuge and return. So, short/tall/short then short/tall?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump3.jpg

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would work just fine. Go to youtube and find some videos on building sumps. You will probably want your drain sticking down in the water and make sure you can get your skimmer out if you need to. A lot of ideas on sumps out there. You can sit the sump on a rubber mat to help keep noise down, rubber feet or pad under your return pump will help also. I'd put ato switches in the return pump area ,plus don't forget about your heater that's gotta fit in there somewhere.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pic was awful. Sorry. This one is a little better.
uploadfromtaptalk1405735064435.jpg

Thanks Alsmx :) it'll be a little snug but I will be able to get the skimmer out. There will be a 17" clearance. There will actually be 2- 1" drains going into the sump. 1 with a sock and 1 without. Both will be in the water. This was just a quick sketch to show the general idea in my mind.

Should I have 3 panels on the return end or 2? In the diagram it shows 3 or maybe I am wrong and the return section is in the middle fuge on the right. I'm a little unclear about what chamber is for what on the picture he posted above. If I wanted to put the fuge on the right I could. I just don't see how there would be constant flow that way.

I will go take a look at you tube. Thanks :)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back