Bagging clownfish

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this pair of clowns in Qt for 2.5 weeks.
As I was bagging them up to transfer to observation tank, one of them stopped moving as soon as he hit the water in the bag. Stayed sideways at the bottom of the bag breathing Normally for about 30-45 seconds. Keep in mind this is the same water they were just in. Then he snapped out of it and started swimming around frantically.

They’re floating in the observation tank acclimating. He’s still swimming and breathing but not doing as well as the other…
Stress? Has this happened to anyone ?

OP
OP
Mikemilly245

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns will sometimes lie on their side on the bottom of the tank. I wouldn’t say it’s an abnormal behavior.
They would do that too when they were in the QT at night… but he completely stopped moving and was in a U shape when I put him in the bag. He’s still swimming straight down into the bag and breathing very fast

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure.. but the alert badge was on “alert”. Was feeding pretty lightly in Qt since it was a 5 gallon so I imagine very little
This could be an ammonia related thing. It could also be a lack of oxygen, I've seen fish act like that when I forgot to turn on the pumps after a water change

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or could I just been freaked out because he was put in a bag? That to me is normal fish Behavior. Like sometimes when you put a new fish in a bucket they just lay on their side on the bottom not moving.

OP
OP
Mikemilly245

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added him to observation tank. Still laying on side breathing fast.
Or could I just been freaked out because he was put in a bag? That to me is normal fish Behavior. Like sometimes when you put a new fish in a bucket they just lay on their side on the bottom not moving.
Yeah that’s what I was hoping for too… it’s been over an hour an a half though and he’s still on his side.. don’t know if I’m being optimistic but it seems he’s doing a little better since I added him in

OP
OP
Mikemilly245

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need to bag them to transfer them to another tank, just curious?
Well to be honest, I’ve never transferred fish to another tank. I really was stressing about acclimation and transferring so I tried to mimic what I’ve done in the past when buying fish and acclimating. Also wanted to keep the temperature the same the whole time

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry that the reaction you saw was shock. Most fish can handle the shock of a simple move from one tank to another, but if the fish is weakened from some unrecognized issue, the stress can be fatal. Keep the lights dim, but not out entirely and see how it’s doing in the morning.
Jay

OP
OP
Mikemilly245

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry that the reaction you saw was shock. Most fish can handle the shock of a simple move from one tank to another, but if the fish is weakened from some unrecognized issue, the stress can be fatal. Keep the lights dim, but not out entirely and see how it’s doing in the morning.
Jay
Doing a lot better this morning

They did eat but not nearly as much as usual. The smaller of the two is really frantic, but I’m assuming it’s just cause the lights were flicked on and they got dropped into a new tank.

How does he look? Also I’m slowly going to raise my salinity from 1.020 to 1.024 during this week, just was wondering if 1.020 is fatal? My Bucket of salt mix mixes 1.021-1.023 and I must have missed a little

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a lot better this morning

They did eat but not nearly as much as usual. The smaller of the two is really frantic, but I’m assuming it’s just cause the lights were flicked on and they got dropped into a new tank.

How does he look? Also I’m slowly going to raise my salinity from 1.020 to 1.024 during this week, just was wondering if 1.020 is fatal? My Bucket of salt mix mixes 1.021-1.023 and I must have missed a little

They look good to me.
1.020 won't harm fish, bring up SG slow. A week sounds about right to bring it up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back