Balancing Nitrate and Phosphate

The tank is here from Germany still in the crate but nothing bought yet as dont want to buy and change plans so its going to be worked out to the last detail befote i buy anything.
 
The tank is here from Germany still in the crate but nothing bought yet as dont want to buy and change plans so its going to be worked out to the last detail befote i buy anything.
Keen to see how big it is in the crate!
 
15180C1A-6C40-4F87-B1BB-9A5D29D4C1DC.gif

Welcome to the R2R family!
 
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
 
Truthfully I do not think there is an ideal level of NO3 or PO4. More so I think there is a wide range of ok. With that said, I think silicates and other nutrients play into cyano, diatoms, and dinos more then we realize.

Edit: where are my manners. Welcome.
How long does it normally take for silicates to deplete in a new tank? Ive had mine set up for 1.5 months and have what looks like a Dino outbreak. Then again it could be something else because my PO4 is .02 and NO3 5ppm.
 
Hey everyone.

I have a 65g hard coral reef, with roller filter, good skimmer and lots of rock.

I have been struggling with cyano on the rocks since changing from realreef rock to TMC ecorock.


I have been attempting to balance my nitrate and phosphate, by dosing nitrate to get up to around 5-7. The phosphate is at about 0.03, but cyano remains.

Does anyone have any tips of ideal levels for both to balance and remove cyano due to imbalance?

20200418_175632-01.jpeg
Yep, another vote for Chemiclean here. Stuff always worked great for me. Just make sure you increase oxygen in the tank and I would leave the dose in for 3 days instead of the 48 hours it says on the box before doing the water change
 
How long does it normally take for silicates to deplete in a new tank? Ive had mine set up for 1.5 months and have what looks like a Dino outbreak. Then again it could be something else because my PO4 is .02 and NO3 5ppm.
I found out that for me if i keep my phosphages below 0.05 i get a dino outbreak i gotta keep my phosphates at 0.10 just to be safe. And never do a water change.
 
How long does it normally take for silicates to deplete in a new tank? Ive had mine set up for 1.5 months and have what looks like a Dino outbreak. Then again it could be something else because my PO4 is .02 and NO3 5ppm.

In a new tank I doubt you have very much silicates at all. Probably being that your tank is only a month and a half old, you are just going through the ugly phase that all tanks go through.
 
In a new tank I doubt you have very much silicates at all. Probably being that your tank is only a month and a half old, you are just going through the ugly phase that all tanks go through.
That’s what I’m hoping. I did a black out and did Dr Tims treatment. But now it’s back. I just going to dose more live bacteria and see what happens
 
Hey everyone.

I have a 65g hard coral reef, with roller filter, good skimmer and lots of rock.

I have been struggling with cyano on the rocks since changing from realreef rock to TMC ecorock.


I have been attempting to balance my nitrate and phosphate, by dosing nitrate to get up to around 5-7. The phosphate is at about 0.03, but cyano remains.

Does anyone have any tips of ideal levels for both to balance and remove cyano due to imbalance?

20200418_175632-01.jpeg
Welcome to R2R. Beautiful colours in your tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new