Balancing Nitrate and Phosphate

Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Truthfully I do not think there is an ideal level of NO3 or PO4. More so I think there is a wide range of ok. With that said, I think silicates and other nutrients play into cyano, diatoms, and dinos more then we realize.

Edit: where are my manners. Welcome.
How long does it normally take for silicates to deplete in a new tank? Ive had mine set up for 1.5 months and have what looks like a Dino outbreak. Then again it could be something else because my PO4 is .02 and NO3 5ppm.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Kdub Koral Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a 65g hard coral reef, with roller filter, good skimmer and lots of rock.

I have been struggling with cyano on the rocks since changing from realreef rock to TMC ecorock.

I have been attempting to balance my nitrate and phosphate, by dosing nitrate to get up to around 5-7. The phosphate is at about 0.03, but cyano remains.

Does anyone have any tips of ideal levels for both to balance and remove cyano due to imbalance?

20200418_175632-01.jpeg
Yep, another vote for Chemiclean here. Stuff always worked great for me. Just make sure you increase oxygen in the tank and I would leave the dose in for 3 days instead of the 48 hours it says on the box before doing the water change

Marc2952

View Badges
Reaction score
How long does it normally take for silicates to deplete in a new tank? Ive had mine set up for 1.5 months and have what looks like a Dino outbreak. Then again it could be something else because my PO4 is .02 and NO3 5ppm.
I found out that for me if i keep my phosphages below 0.05 i get a dino outbreak i gotta keep my phosphates at 0.10 just to be safe. And never do a water change.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In a new tank I doubt you have very much silicates at all. Probably being that your tank is only a month and a half old, you are just going through the ugly phase that all tanks go through.

Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
In a new tank I doubt you have very much silicates at all. Probably being that your tank is only a month and a half old, you are just going through the ugly phase that all tanks go through.
That’s what I’m hoping. I did a black out and did Dr Tims treatment. But now it’s back. I just going to dose more live bacteria and see what happens

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Jimbhoy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a 65g hard coral reef, with roller filter, good skimmer and lots of rock.

I have been struggling with cyano on the rocks since changing from realreef rock to TMC ecorock.

I have been attempting to balance my nitrate and phosphate, by dosing nitrate to get up to around 5-7. The phosphate is at about 0.03, but cyano remains.

Does anyone have any tips of ideal levels for both to balance and remove cyano due to imbalance?

20200418_175632-01.jpeg
Welcome to R2R. Beautiful colours in your tank.

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 234 25.9%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 144 15.9%
  • Every other week

Votes: 71 7.9%
  • Every month

Votes: 36 4.0%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 72 8.0%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.2%