OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m convinced my phosphate checker is broke. I measure during the day and my readings are 0. I measure at night and I get some sort of reading.
My buddy says these tests are done with the presence of light. I’ve tried bright light. I’ve tried medium light. I’ve tried just ambient light in the day and readings are still 0. I try at night with just dining room lights on and I get a reading.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the GFO in a refuge or a reactor with internal circulation. This way the phosphate level in a high or low nutrient system is controlled easily by controlling the effluent flow to the main system. Use small amounts of GFO.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that you are wiping the vials totally clean and you have waited the full three minutes to check the second vial. If you close the top, ambient light does not matter.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked since it only works at night. Got s reading of 0.05. I’m gonna check again in the afternoon around 11-12 since my auto water change of 5 gallons is done st 8am. And before I feed. If I don’t get a reading at my testing time I’ll know for sure it’s the checker

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
Since my tank is somewhat big I’m thinking about using dr Tim’s one and only and the regular frityme. I’m not sure if I really need the turbostart900. It seems like a more potent version of the regular one. Not sure it’s worth it in price. What’s your opinion?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
Since my tank is somewhat big I’m thinking about using dr Tim’s one and only and the regular frityme. I’m not sure if I really need the turbostart900. It seems like a more potent version of the regular one. Not sure it’s worth it in price. What’s your opinion?
Either. Dr tims is seven bacterias
Both the fritz are testing very well in the bacteria thread.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
I just received my 1 gallon bottle of fritzyme 9. Looks like I’m gonna have to use the whole bottle. It’s goid for up to 320 gallons. My total water volume is about that. 240 main tank. Sump 125 gallon. Fuge 75 gallon. Estimation after rocks and sand 200 main tank. Sump half filled 60 gallons. Fuge 2/3 filled looking at 70 gallons. I’m gonna say 325 on safe side. I’m gonna do a large water change of at least 50-75 gallons. Then I’ll dose this. Says turn off skimmer for 4 days. My question would be should I turn off auto water change of 5 gallons daily for the 4 days?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
I just received my 1 gallon bottle of fritzyme 9. Looks like I’m gonna have to use the whole bottle. It’s goid for up to 320 gallons. My total water volume is about that. 240 main tank. Sump 125 gallon. Fuge 75 gallon. Estimation after rocks and sand 200 main tank. Sump half filled 60 gallons. Fuge 2/3 filled looking at 70 gallons. I’m gonna say 325 on safe side. I’m gonna do a large water change of at least 50-75 gallons. Then I’ll dose this. Says turn off skimmer for 4 days. My question would be should I turn off auto water change of 5 gallons daily for the 4 days?
If you have low no3 and Po4 and low all demand , yes I’d turn it off till you’ve balanced it.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
Now they say nothing good happens fast in this hobby. I did waterchange and dosed gallon of fritzyme bacteria. Skimmer has been off as directed. Auto water changes have also stopped. Now it’s only Wednesday so bacteria has only been working for 3 days. Do you guys think I should of seen s difference already with the dinos? I understand it takes time for good bacteria to grow and colonize. So I’m thinking just give it some more time or should I go ahead and do the dr Tim’s one and only this time?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience.

It’s the how to grow a tree kinda patience.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 5 gallon automatic water change a day. Minus the weekends. Haven’t been doing the water changes for the past 3 days since instructions on the fritzyme said turn skimmer off for 4 days.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re running true Zeros, you’ll want to stop any major export.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back