Balling light

  • Thread starter Thread starter KevBodd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KevBodd

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2025
Messages
22
Reaction score
2
Location
Aberdeen
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’m new to reefing and when I bought my set up I was given balling light products. I want to increase my KH slightly. I haven’t got a dosing pump yet. Am I right in thinking I just mix KH with 3 litres of RO water and then add 25ml of trace 3. Or is that completely wrong. Then how do I know how much of the diluted solution to add to my sump. Thank you.
 
If you are just wanting to adjust dKH I would just use a baking soda solution.
 
If you are just wanting to adjust dKH I would just use a baking soda solution.
Oh ok might just do that. Any idea how much I have to add. Also shall I add it to RO water before I put it in the sump?
 
If your only goal right now is to raise KH slightly (rather than running the full Fauna Marin Balling Light method), you don’t need to mix the full Part 3 solution — that’s intended for ongoing, balanced dosing with a pump.

For a manual correction:
  • Dissolve plain baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in RO/DI water - about 1 tablespoon (~15 g) per 250ml/~8,45oz of water is a good stock solution.
  • Use a reef chemistry calculator (like the one KStatefan linked) to figure out exactly how many ml of that solution you need to raise your tank’s dKH by the desired amount, based on total system volume.
  • Add it slowly to a high-flow area of your sump or display to avoid localized pH swings.
Once KH is at your target, you can let your normal Balling Light routine (or water changes) maintain it, but without a dosing pump, stick to manual adjustments no more than once per day to avoid rapid swings.
 
If your only goal right now is to raise KH slightly (rather than running the full Fauna Marin Balling Light method), you don’t need to mix the full Part 3 solution — that’s intended for ongoing, balanced dosing with a pump.

For a manual correction:
  • Dissolve plain baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in RO/DI water - about 1 tablespoon (~15 g) per 250ml/~8,45oz of water is a good stock solution.
  • Use a reef chemistry calculator (like the one KStatefan linked) to figure out exactly how many ml of that solution you need to raise your tank’s dKH by the desired amount, based on total system volume.
  • Add it slowly to a high-flow area of your sump or display to avoid localized pH swings.
Once KH is at your target, you can let your normal Balling Light routine (or water changes) maintain it, but without a dosing pump, stick to manual adjustments no more than once per day to avoid rapid swings.
Thank you for this. I’ll definitely do this. My plan is to get a dosing pump in the very near future. But for now I will try your method. Thanks again.
 
The Fauna product seems to have some issues with potency not being necessarily what it claims, but if you use it, I’d add all the parts in balance even if alk is all you need.

If you just go the baking soda route, that’s fine too for a one time correction.
 
The Fauna product seems to have some issues with potency not being necessarily what it claims, but if you use it, I’d add all the parts in balance even if alk is all you need.

If you just go the baking soda route, that’s fine too for a one time correction.
Thanks. It seems a bit complicated. I’m only using it because it come with the set up. I might just leave it and buy something else after I try the bicarbonate method.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new