Banded Cleaner Shrimp Aggression

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever noticed a skunk* cleaner shrimp getting aggressive towards fish? Mine was chasing my mandarin goby away from the rock work a few days ago. The goby was in an area the shrimp is not usually in. I have never noticed a shrimp getting aggressive or chasing fish away. He did molt about four days later. Does molting cause aggression or territorial behavior in shrimp? The mandarin is about a third the size of the shrimp.

zfisk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one with a real attitude in my first tank. Every time anything got close to him he would swipe at it. I ended up taking him back to the store

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen shrimp "wave off" mandarins, but I've never seen any actually go after them (this includes a coral banded shrimp). Dead fish - maybe. Live fish - unlikely.

OP
OP
K

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarin is doing very well. It even eats mysis. They were all added at the same time. The shrimp only did it for a day and has moved back to his usual "layer". It just seemed odd. Thanks for the feedback.
I did have a coral banded shrimp years ago that was ripping my hermits out of their shells and eating them. It was rehomed to the refugium in the sump.

OP
OP
K

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadnt thought about. I do recall that the mandarin had sand specs all over him from a tank cleaning. Probably what was going on. Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back