Bangai cardinal fish

Jason Collins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g Reef tank. Mostly sps... high flow. My wife wants some bangai cardinal fish. Would they be fine in high flow tanks? I've read they are slow swimmers/eaters. If they will be ok is there some kind of ideal quantity? Like a trio of anthias is common. Currently I have a yellow tang, hippo tang, 2 blue green chromis and 5 anthias in the tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Bangai cardinals would be fine there. They would just spend their time next to a rock or an overhang like they do in the sea.

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I have one survivor from a "pair" and it does fine. They tend to stay in one spot most of the days. Does fine at feeding time with all other fish

OP
OP
J

Jason Collins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so is there a quantity they do best in? Like do I buy 2 and see I'd they pair up.. 3 like alot of anthias?

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a trio of Bangais in my 500g. Two seem to have paired and will not tolerate the company of the third. In a smaller tank that might mean big trouble but they all seem to do well here as long as there's enough distance between them. They don't seem to like being blasted by lots of flow and take sanctuary either beside or under ledges that block it so they can hover comfortably. Good luck.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 PJ’s and one cardinal, funny thing is the cardinal and one of the PJ’s schooled up for some of reason. They do fine in high flow and eat with the rest.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only recommend a pair as they are very aggressive to the point of killing off other bangaii if they can't get away.
If you can only get young fish then buying more and removing the extras is the best way, or see if you can pick up a pair as they regularly pair up in dealers tanks.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept Bengai Cardinals in my pretty high flow SPS dominant system. My tank turnover is about 60 times. I was concerned that the cardinals would have problems with the flow. And it never seemed to bother them.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back