Banggai Cardinal Breeding

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matnmich
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Matnmich

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Messages
1
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Banggai Cardinals have successfully mated and now we need help. We have them in our showcase tank which is a 75 gallon tank. We have purchased a small bio cube to move the male to but need to know how and when to move him. We have tried to move him in previous spawning which caused him to spit the eggs. Additionally, we are about four days in and have plans to travel at the end of the month and with us not being home when he releases the fry if we get that far, how can we make sure the fry will live without us feeding them daily? Is there something we can put in the tank to keep them alive for the week we are gone? Thanks everyone, this is new and exciting for us and we want to do it right.
 
Welcome to R2R!!

Well that's an exciting first post! Congrats! I don't have any experience with salt water mouth brooders, but I do with African cichlids. I'm not going to lie, it's going to be a real challenge to get him out without stressing him to the point of spitting the eggs or fry out. You might get lucky if you catch him quickly, but they are very fast fish.

Your travel plans really complicate things too even if you do get them out before you go. The fry are going to need several feedings over the course of the day for the first few weeks of not longer. Imo I would let nature take its course for this round, and get them in the smaller tank for the next time they breed.

Again congrats on the breeding pair, and have a great trip! Try not to stress about it.
 
Our Banggai Cardinals have successfully mated and now we need help. We have them in our showcase tank which is a 75 gallon tank. We have purchased a small bio cube to move the male to but need to know how and when to move him. We have tried to move him in previous spawning which caused him to spit the eggs. Additionally, we are about four days in and have plans to travel at the end of the month and with us not being home when he releases the fry if we get that far, how can we make sure the fry will live without us feeding them daily? Is there something we can put in the tank to keep them alive for the week we are gone? Thanks everyone, this is new and exciting for us and we want to do it right.
Welcome comrades
 
I have had 15 broods, not 1 survivor. Partially because my male is terrible at holding for the full term and I have to strip them from him. I have tried about 10 different methods and still unsuccessful. Right now I have 2 survivors (15 days). Any questions I can help with let me know. More so I can let you know I have done and failed at
 
Mine survived in the overflow and the sump. I didn’t do anything extra. Once they got big enough I’d fish them out and either reintroduce them or sell/trade them.
 
Mine always ended up as food for others. :(
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new