Banggai Cardinal refusing to eat

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is big enough for the cardinal. He might have been sick or he is very stressed. They can hide in very small area so it may still emerge later. I once killed a sixline wrasse. by carrying a rock in my sink, because I wanted to scrubb the bubble algae. I scrubbed the rock, put the rock back in the tank, and when I went back to sink and found my sixline dead in the sink, probably killed by the cold tap water I was using to clean the rock. I never saw it, and the rock was not very big.

Hermit crab, nassarius snails or shrimp would be better to clean the dead fish. Your snails are good for algae.

OP
OP
P

poaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be as simple as the quality of the fish and source where it came from or adjustment to tank, and even proper acclimation. If you get another, ask to see it eat and assure normal breathing, and no mouth deformities
Got it, thanks! Also do you know if the ammonia will spike because of the dead banggai (I'm pretty sure it's dead)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got it, thanks! Also do you know if the ammonia will spike because of the dead banggai (I'm pretty sure it's dead)?
They can be sensitive or in better terms delicate and depending on the level of ammonia- It can be toxic

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The males don't eat when the babies/eggs are in their mouth. Mine does this periodically. They only eat live/frozen food.

OP
OP
P

poaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be sensitive or in better terms delicate and depending on the level of ammonia- It can be toxic
Since I don't know where the body is, how can I control the level of ammonia if it spikes too high because of the dead banggai? Just water change?

Groovyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked for first fish advice on reddit and to my LFS and gave them my stock list and both reddit and LFS recommended me to get firefish and banggai cardinal first since they are more peaceful. I just checked my ammonia and nitrate and there are no spikes.
I checked on my aquarium and the banggai cardinal is gone, like completely gone, can't find him. How long can they hide for?
It can be as simple as the quality of the fish and source where it came from or adjustment to tank, and even proper acclimation. If you get another, ask to see it eat and assure normal breathing, and no mouth deformities
I’m

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since I don't know where the body is, how can I control the level of ammonia if it spikes too high because of the dead banggai? Just water change?
Never saw this. A banghai wont have much impact or any toxins. Water change and carbon helps but cleaner crew generally eats this thing down to nothing reducing any risk

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back