Bare bones Gracilaria/Planted reef tank.

DaDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, completely new to saltwater tanks, and basic semi-successful experience with freshwater. I am just out of high school, and about to enter uni so I dont have the sort of money to buy all the expensive equipment associated with the hobby so I plan on using equipment I already have lying around. Namely, a pond pump that I'm certain provides adequate flow for my needs, a 15 gallon(2 feet long, 1 foot wide, 1 foot high) tank, and an approximately 77 gallon tub that Ill use as a sump to buffer chemistry and temperature swings. The plan is to set up the system outdoors such that tank is open to the elements including sunlight(so that I need not buy expensive lights), while the sump is shaded and protected from rainfall. The pump is to connect the tank to the sump and provide water flow. I live in a tropical and stable climate so my only concern temperature wise would be possible overheating from the sun. Stocking wise, I plan to start simply with some guppy fry I have slowly been acclimating, and a native gracilaria ( edible and my primary focus for this project). Also plan on using locally collected seawater as opposed to buying salts and mixing water. Idk if this is too much info or not for this type of post cause this is also my first post here, but simply, I am asking for:
1. Any advice or tips on any important details I may be missing.
2. Any tips on maximizing gracilaria growth in a tank.
3. Any tips or knowledge on getting gracilaria to go sexual/sporulate within a tank.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, completely new to saltwater tanks, and basic semi-successful experience with freshwater. I am just out of high school, and about to enter uni so I dont have the sort of money to buy all the expensive equipment associated with the hobby so I plan on using equipment I already have lying around. Namely, a pond pump that I'm certain provides adequate flow for my needs, a 15 gallon(2 feet long, 1 foot wide, 1 foot high) tank, and an approximately 77 gallon tub that Ill use as a sump to buffer chemistry and temperature swings. The plan is to set up the system outdoors such that tank is open to the elements including sunlight(so that I need not buy expensive lights), while the sump is shaded and protected from rainfall. The pump is to connect the tank to the sump and provide water flow. I live in a tropical and stable climate so my only concern temperature wise would be possible overheating from the sun. Stocking wise, I plan to start simply with some guppy fry I have slowly been acclimating, and a native gracilaria ( edible and my primary focus for this project). Also plan on using locally collected seawater as opposed to buying salts and mixing water. Idk if this is too much info or not for this type of post cause this is also my first post here, but simply, I am asking for:
1. Any advice or tips on any important details I may be missing.
2. Any tips on maximizing gracilaria growth in a tank.
3. Any tips or knowledge on getting gracilaria to go sexual/sporulate within a tank.
Can guppies live in saltwater?

OP
OP
DaDom

DaDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can guppies live in saltwater?
Yuppy. Lots of examples online, and according to wikipedia, up to 150% salinity of the ocean. Currently if the refractometer I have is any good, the water is almost/practically seawater atm and they look just fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back