Bare bottom or 2 inch sand bed

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question that needs to be asked, and I feel, you already know your answer, is, WHAT do you want?

I say this because you will get different answers based on reefers preference. I like sand, and thus, went with a 1.5 to 2 in sand bed. Others like a bare bottom and go that route. Its all in what you want, and what you are looking for. The main difference in both is mainly 2 fold, maintenance and speed of cycling. With a sand bed, you get a quicker cycling period as the sand will hold bacteria, plus it looks more natural. While, bare bottom, means a longer cycling period, and more bacteria blooms, look at the @Bulk Reef Supply videos, BUT, at far less maintenance as you do not have to clean the sand down the road. NO one is really better than the other, its just a preference on what you like vs what you are willing to do and go thru to achieve the look you want. ;)

Last edited:

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what kind of corals you want to grow in the lowest parts of your reef. Mostly SPS, go barebottom, mostly LPS and/or softies, go sand. And even with all SPS you could go for a sandbed. With a sandbed you just need to be willing to to invest in livestock that helps in maintaining it (stay away from sand sifting starfish though, they only do more harm to a sandbed) and also help with that maintenance yourself.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question that needs to be asked, and I feel, you already know your answer, is, WHAT do you want?

I say this because you will get different answers based on reefers preference. I like sand, and thus, went with a 1.5 to 2 in sand bed. Others like a bare bottom and go that route. Its all in what you want, and what you are looking for. The main difference in both is mainly 2 fold, maintenance and speed of cycling. With a sand bed, you get a quicker cycling period as the sand will hold bacteria, plus it looks more natural. While, bare bottom, means a longer cycling period, and more bacteria blooms, look at the @Bulk Reef Supply videos, BUT, at far less maintenance as you do not have to clean the sand down the road. NO one is really better than the other, its just a preference on what you like vs what you are willing to do and go thru to achieve the look you want. ;)
Whats the Ture benefit from sand long term say 1 year in? I love both, that's why this question is being asked

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have had sand and with SPS flow rate I want I couldn’t keep the sand from piling up in one corner.

with my new tank I have a lot more flow and no sand as it’s bare bottom

like it was mentioned , it is preference and what you plan to do with tank

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have had sand and with SPS flow rate I want I couldn’t keep the sand from piling up in one corner.

with my new tank I have a lot more flow and no sand as it’s bare bottom

like it was mentioned , it is preference and what you plan to do with tank

Bdroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all about the sand since my tank is primarily lps/softies and doesn’t require strong flows.

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2 inch fine grain sand bed will allow for the anaerobic bacteria to metabolize nitrate into nitrogen thus completing the nitrogen cycle. If you have a bare bottom tank, you need to plan on managing this anaerobic activity in other ways.

Live rock in the sump or better yet reactors with porous rock where you can strictly control flow would be the other options.

Don't forget about water changes as a viable export method!

Let us know if you go bare or sanded and how you do in a few months with nitrates. Best of luck.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back