bare bottom tank, white or black background? 20 high vs 29 regular???

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So just about to upgrade my 15 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank + 5 gallon "sump". . . but my friend just offered to give me back my old 29 gallon tank painted white (used to house some grow out discus). . . . I really don't want to scrape or repaint a tank right now. . . in your experience can a white background and floor look good on a bare bottom reef? Also my filtration and lighter were for the 20 gallon (16 inches high) would that cause any problems with the larger, and taller tank (18" tall) Light is 2 bulb 24W T5 coral plus blue plus????????

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just about to upgrade my 15 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank + 5 gallon "sump". . . but my friend just offered to give me back my old 29 gallon tank painted white (used to house some grow out discus). . . . I really don't want to scrape or repaint a tank right now. . . in your experience can a white background and floor look good on a bare bottom reef? Also my filtration and lighter were for the 20 gallon (16 inches high) would that cause any problems with the larger, and taller tank (18" tall) Light is 2 bulb 24W T5 coral plus blue plus????????
I personally don't like the look of white against a marine tank......makes the tank look smaller and without depth. I would either scrape it off and repaint or stick to your 20 gallon. Going to the bigger tank shouldn't make too much of a difference with lighting....you can arrange rockwork and coral placement to still give you the height you would need to be in the PAR numbers you want to be in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use Black - It brings everything in the tank forward

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back