Bartlett's Anthias Changing Male/Hiding

  • Thread starter Thread starter PDR
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Messages
3,354
Reaction score
16,274
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a trio of bartletts anthias several months ago and lost the male to jumping about 2 weeks in. Since then the dominate female has started to show signs of turning male, but for the last 3-4 days he has been hiding in the rocks and has not come out at all that I have seen. I can see him fine, and he definitely now looks full blown male, and doesn't seem stressed and there is no aggression that I have ever witnessed. He is swimming within the rocks and eating when food floats by, just won't come out.

Is this normal when an anthias is finishing changing from female to male?
 
I purchased a trio of bartletts anthias several months ago and lost the male to jumping about 2 weeks in. Since then the dominate female has started to show signs of turning male, but for the last 3-4 days he has been hiding in the rocks and has not come out at all that I have seen. I can see him fine, and he definitely now looks full blown male, and doesn't seem stressed and there is no aggression that I have ever witnessed. He is swimming within the rocks and eating when food floats by, just won't come out.

Is this normal when an anthias is finishing changing from female to male?
No, it's not normal, the bartlett should be behaving more dominantly, not less.

If it is hiding but seems otherwise healthy I would look for an aggressor or chasing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new