Base-up RTN

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh... Never wanted to post a post like this, but here we are. One of my colonies that's been growing for a bit more than a year decided to start RTNing from the base up this morning. Most of the colony is still healthy, but I think I need to step in before the entire colony dies. I was thinking I should frag off the majority of the colony and glue over and fresh cut edges to see if that will help. But also, if it is bacterial or ciliates or something similar, wouldn't they already be on all of the colony? Should I dip the healthy chunk that I frag off of the colony in general cure or something similar?

I am also planning on replacing my ROX carbon, not too much though so I don't cause more problems. I was also thinking of running some calcium carbonate flocculant in case there are any particles with diseased tissue floating around...

None of my other acros have any symptoms, and the only thing that could have triggered it was low alk about a month ago (opposite of alk spike from doser malfunction). Any thoughts?

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the affected colony BC Nero Table :crying-face:. The RTN is at the base at the lower right.
@sculpin01, any ideas?
NERO RTN.png

kin_itsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the algea behind I thought your tank nitrite and phosphate is both zero .The pale looking of the frag means short of nutrient.Cutting won't save the frag.The water itself is the key problem.

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly is the tissue loss happening?
Happened very quickly. Unfortunately I ended up losing the whole thing. I cut the healthy part off and it looked fine for a couple days and then lost all of its flesh. I don't see any other acros with this issues so crossing my fingers.

According to the algea behind I thought your tank nitrite and phosphate is both zero .The pale looking of the frag means short of nutrient.Cutting won't save the frag.The water itself is the key problem.
I just added two more fish to help increase nutrient import to create more bioavailable nutrients for the corals, which hopefully will help increase coloration and coral health.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added two more fish to help increase nutrient import to create more bioavailable nutrients for the corals, which hopefully will help increase coloration and coral health.
Did you by any chance add fish that will also help with solving your algae issue (like Salarias or tang (if the tank is big enough))?
If you only add fish to increase the nutrients, you're basically fueling your algae problem, not solving the problem with your coral.
My first step would be to up the cleaning crew (snails, urchin, maybe Sea Hare), not adding more fish.
Good luck!

kin_itsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you by any chance add fish that will also help with solving your algae issue (like Salarias or tang (if the tank is big enough))?
If you only add fish to increase the nutrients, you're basically fueling your algae problem, not solving the problem with your coral.
My first step would be to up the cleaning crew (snails, urchin, maybe Sea Hare), not adding more fish.
Good luck!
Agreed.To get rid of the algea first.Then add some fish or dose nitrite or phosphate to feed the coral.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back