Acro RTN

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, wondering if anyone has seen this before or has insight as to what might have caused it. I have an acro frag (millepora I believe) that developed RTN, but no other corals in the tank were impacted. The RTN only occurred on the branch, and the base is still alive. I have never had this happen before and have been scratching my head as to the cause. Attached is a picture of the coral, you can see the base is still alive but there is no tissue on the branch. This happened over the course of 2 days, it started as the front half of the branch, then by the following morning the whole branch was dead. There are lots of other sps in the tank all of which are fine. My zoas recently have been slightly closed up, which I am trying to figure out, but I think that could be my flame angel picking when I’m not looking. Everything else looks great and is growing well. This frag had been in the tank for well over a month. It didn’t seem to grow much at all but color looked good.

All parameters have been stable, dosing 8mL AFR daily. Any ideas?

Alk: 7.7
Cal: 440
Phos: 0.09
NO3: 0ppm (API test, probably between 0ppm and 5ppm)
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 79

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 8.28.31 PM.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times we’ll never know! I have a tank full sps over 50 different ones and the one that looked the happiest decided it wanted to bail. One of my older pieces also that I’ve had over a year! Everything else is fine and happy so I don’t change a thing! If you start changing stuff to please one coral it normally doesn’t end well!

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi all, wondering if anyone has seen this before or has insight as to what might have caused it. I have an acro frag (millepora I believe) that developed RTN, but no other corals in the tank were impacted. The RTN only occurred on the branch, and the base is still alive. I have never had this happen before and have been scratching my head as to the cause. Attached is a picture of the coral, you can see the base is still alive but there is no tissue on the branch. This happened over the course of 2 days, it started as the front half of the branch, then by the following morning the whole branch was dead. There are lots of other sps in the tank all of which are fine. My zoas recently have been slightly closed up, which I am trying to figure out, but I think that could be my flame angel picking when I’m not looking. Everything else looks great and is growing well. This frag had been in the tank for well over a month. It didn’t seem to grow much at all but color looked good.

All parameters have been stable, dosing 8mL AFR daily. Any ideas?

Alk: 7.7
Cal: 440
Phos: 0.09
NO3: 0ppm (API test, probably between 0ppm and 5ppm)
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 79

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 8.28.31 PM.png

Here is your problem, you listed it yourself.

"NO3: 0ppm (API test, probably between 0ppm and 5ppm)"

That needs to come up if you want to keep SPS. Don't chase Phosphate either in a new tank, make sure you are getting some through fish feeding, etc. Not too much so don't overdo it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back