Basement frag system question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Patrick.S
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Patrick.S

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2016
Messages
240
Reaction score
189
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning out a frag system in my basement. I’d like to add ventilation in the form of a pipe with an inline fan pulling air from outside in order to prevent co2 build up. I have also considered running a line just to the skimmer. My concern is during the winter when the air coming in is very cold. Is that going to cause a major issue? One thought I had was running the cold air into the halide lights to both cool the fixture and warm the air. Is that a bad idea? Also is there a downside to running a skimmer with freezing cold air coming in?
 
I’m in the same boat. I’m trying something unique (I think) to try to manage temp swings.

I ran a line to the outside plumbed into a 2.5 gal aquarium. Put the large diaphragm pump inside. 4 outputs go to skimmer, airstones in qt, etc.

I put a long coil of tubing between the outdoors and the little aquarium to try to gain or lose heat prior to the air pump. Kinda like a water dispenser on the fridge door does. Also keeping the pump sealed up in the aquarium tends to hold that heat in and propagate it out to the outputs.

Still in testing and designing mode but so far it seems promising.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new