basement lift station questions

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as part of the new house reno I would like to add a sewage lift station not only for the fish room but future proofing encase we fisnsh the basement.

question is have is.
I will have a med, size fish room there where the mixing station will be and other normal fish 'stuff" should i be looking at a plastic sewage pump or will the normal cast iron be ok?
my thoughts are the SW could rust the cast iron more quickly and a possible failure point. I will be setting up a AWC system where about 1.5-2 gallon a day will be dumped in to the much sink also RODI wastewater.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a regular cast iron ejector pump for the exact same application- what I do is 'chase' any saltwater that goes down there with 6 gallons of tap water. My bucket is 3 gallon capacity so that's two pump activations.

I still open it up and give the pump a quick scrub down every 3 months. Otherwise, the float tends to stick a little and I get some 'backup' that can come out of the fittings.

Going on 18 months and thevrust that's in it is pretty much cosmetic. I'm sure I'll get 5+ years out of it

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG
IMG_1453.JPG

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also- if you have a one way valve on the outflow plumbing- since your not using it to eject sewage, you don't need a one way air /studor vent on the bucket. In fact- I couldn't get mine to work properly if I did that. I left one of the top input holes open other than RO flush line (yellow in above pic) and I haven't had any smells come out n 18 months. The water that's left in the pipe above the one way valve acts as a barrier like in a u-trap

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next to my sewage lift in my basement is the sump pump. I chose to drain all water into the sump to keep the saltwater out of my septic system. We have a 100’, 4 inch drain taking it away from the house. Whenever I drain saltwater I make RODI water and the waste from that rinses the saltwater from my sump.

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next to my sewage lift in my basement is the sump pump. I chose to drain all water into the sump to keep the saltwater out of my septic system. We have a 100’’, 4 inch drain taking it away from the house. Whenever I drain saltwater I make RODI water and the waste from that rinses the saltwater from my sump.
The good ole "pump and chase"!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a plastic one so that your not just pouring water down the drain.
I mean- I'm not dumping unused water down there to chase the sw. Water change day I'm cleaning up a bunch of stuff that got used during the week, so it's like half the water I use for cleaning testing containers, brine shrimp hatcheries, cleaning 5g tanks etc

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a plastic one so that your not just pouring water down the drain.

i think this might be the way I am gonna go. with a AWC a gallon to two a day will be dumped on to the basin the float switch will not kick on for 10ish gallon so lets say 5 days if no other water is used that measn the puck could set there in SW for days.

waynee makes a thermoplastic ejector pump prob. just get that. hopefully it last 5-10 years

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also- if you have a one way valve on the outflow plumbing- since your not using it to eject sewage, you don't need a one way air /studor vent on the bucket. In fact- I couldn't get mine to work properly if I did that. I left one of the top input holes open other than RO flush line (yellow in above pic) and I haven't had any smells come out n 18 months. The water that's left in the pipe above the one way valve acts as a barrier like in a u-trap

I am not now but in the future we might finish the basement so while the reno going on we are gonna cut and put it in the floor.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back