Basement sump to upstairs tank

Buck75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of building a new house and have included a fish room in our basement. I’m putting a 375 gallon tank upstairs. I’m going to have around 15’ of head traveling approximately 45 feet. What return pumps can handle this head pressure and flow? I’ve read several forums about this but technology changes all the time so didn’t know if there is something better out there or not. Thanks for the advice.

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a Pan World 200PS or 250PS would work. I have a 150PS In my basement with a tank upstairs. It is a wonderful pump. Some of the Iwaki pumps would also work.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of building a new house and have included a fish room in our basement. I’m putting a 375 gallon tank upstairs. I’m going to have around 15’ of head traveling approximately 45 feet. What return pumps can handle this head pressure and flow? I’ve read several forums about this but technology changes all the time so didn’t know if there is something better out there or not. Thanks for the advice.

Keep in mind that head pressure is more than just vertical distance. If you have 15 feet of vertical distance, but 45 feet of pipe then you are going to have much more than 15 feet of head pressure. This is critical to know when you are selecting your pump. If you look at pumps rated for 15 feet of head pressure then you will be very disappointed in their performance. You also want to use the largest pipe that’s feasible. 1” pipe would add much more head pressure, especially over 45 feet than 1.5” or even 2” pipe.

You’ll also need to use even larger diameter pipe for your drain (and even better, run at least two independent drains) and make sure that the pipe is continually sloping down over any horizontal runs or the water in the drain won‘t travel fast enough and your return pump will overwhelm the drain.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a pan world 150PS, but I think you could use the 200 or 250PS. I am also going up about 14 feet from my basement to my 180. I am getting about 800 gph ( calculated) up to my tank.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive hobby for sure, that 250PS would cost me over $40 per month at my electric rates before I even lit the tank....

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are designing the house anyway, maybe try to consider putting the basement fish room directly under, or at least closer to, the upstairs display location. This would greatly reduce the plumbing and lower the overall head pressure on the pump. Just a thought.

Not sure if that is possible or not, but if you can then you might be able to get away with a smaller pump.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the MRC 6100's and run 2 of them, depends on your system design and turnover you are looking for.
I just did a basement set up using 1 on a 150 and it worked very well. I run two on my 850 gallon garage sump set up and they are perfect for this. They are extremely quiet, and very low electrical usage.
Specs:
Dimensions: 14″ x 9″ x 9″ Max Flow: 6,100 GPH Water inlet size: 1.5″ Water discharge size: 1.5 ″Max Head: 23′ MaxPower: 344 watts Max Current: 3/1.5 Amps Voltage: 115v/230v 60Hz Motor HP: 1/3 HP Motor Enclosure: TEFC Cordset: US 8′

Warranty: 60 months

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with iwaki that’s what I will be installing on my new tank with similar remote sump in basement.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Abyzz A400 or similar they have plenty of power, I’ve got the A200, but they are also plenty of $$$

But they are made in Germany and have a 10 year warranty

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you don't have to have a huge turnover rate between your sump and your display tank. Also, two smaller return pumps for redundancy might be a better option.

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the same project i just saw this thread and i did alot of research maybe what im doing can help. I'm dealing with 21 feet of head pressure vertically and there are other factors to take into account. Each elbow is 1ft of head pressure. Each 10ft of pipe horizontally is equal to 1ft of head pressure, and so on. I think once you establish all these factors, which it sounds like you have you can make a better judgment.
Let me tell you what I did, I brought all schedule 80 pvc and I know its overkill but it sounds like you are just like me. I thought of clogs and snaking through the pvc if there were such a problem as I only want to do this one time. I'm running 3 - 2" drains from the overflow to my basement, into my sump. For the return I did alot of research. Whether its Reeflo, panworld (which I didn't choose because I was told they discontinued the brand), Dolphin pumps which are not sold everywhere but have one of the most head pressure as a pump, and etc... I chose at the end 2 Abyzz A400 ipu. And the reason why I chose this pump was the warranty and the feedback from users and being a DC pump which will save you immensely on yiur electricity vs AC pumps. I chose two to run simultaneously if one goes down the other can still maintain the pressure just need to raise it. I know this is the most costly option but I think long term this is the best option and you are doing a big job and don't want to deal with alot of problems in your journey. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Buck75

Buck75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that head pressure is more than just vertical distance. If you have 15 feet of vertical distance, but 45 feet of pipe then you are going to have much more than 15 feet of head pressure. This is critical to know when you are selecting your pump. If you look at pumps rated for 15 feet of head pressure then you will be very disappointed in their performance. You also want to use the largest pipe that’s feasible. 1” pipe would add much more head pressure, especially over 45 feet than 1.5” or even 2” pipe.

You’ll also need to use even larger diameter pipe for your drain (and even better, run at least two independent drains) and make sure that the pipe is continually sloping down over any horizontal runs or the water in the drain won‘t travel fast enough and your return pump will overwhelm the drain.
Thanks for the Input.

OP
OP
Buck75

Buck75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are designing the house anyway, maybe try to consider putting the basement fish room directly under, or at least closer to, the upstairs display location. This would greatly reduce the plumbing and lower the overall head pressure on the pump. Just a thought.

Not sure if that is possible or not, but if you can then you might be able to get away with a smaller pump.
I tried but where the tank will sit is directly above the garage. No other place to put it.

OP
OP
Buck75

Buck75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the same project i just saw this thread and i did alot of research maybe what im doing can help. I'm dealing with 21 feet of head pressure vertically and there are other factors to take into account. Each elbow is 1ft of head pressure. Each 10ft of pipe horizontally is equal to 1ft of head pressure, and so on. I think once you establish all these factors, which it sounds like you have you can make a better judgment.
Let me tell you what I did, I brought all schedule 80 pvc and I know its overkill but it sounds like you are just like me. I thought of clogs and snaking through the pvc if there were such a problem as I only want to do this one time. I'm running 3 - 2" drains from the overflow to my basement, into my sump. For the return I did alot of research. Whether its Reeflo, panworld (which I didn't choose because I was told they discontinued the brand), Dolphin pumps which are not sold everywhere but have one of the most head pressure as a pump, and etc... I chose at the end 2 Abyzz A400 ipu. And the reason why I chose this pump was the warranty and the feedback from users and being a DC pump which will save you immensely on yiur electricity vs AC pumps. I chose two to run simultaneously if one goes down the other can still maintain the pressure just need to raise it. I know this is the most costly option but I think long term this is the best option and you are doing a big job and don't want to deal with alot of problems in your journey. Hope this helps
Thanks. I’ve thought of all that but there is always something to miss. Hope it does you well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Jebao 20000 lph with 31ft head height to go up 15’ from the basement to my 180g and running only 70%.
It also feeds my UV and Media.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Iwaki pumps with the Japanese motor. Built to last. The md-100 would give you about 1200gph at 20ft head. I'd go with this in a heartbeat.

I've got an Iwaki running my 100g mixing tank and love it. Overkill but I want to mix fast. :)

syilk1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about exact same tank build as you are building.. I started with Iwaki as had a few from when I moved.. Leaked and then I decided to go in sump route and bought the new Ecotech Vectra L2 and it did just OK but I am sold on Jebao 20000 as others have mentioned. I also use their wavemakers and the are cheap and work great. Also can really dial them up or down as too much flow can cause lots of gurgling. The Ecotech is still plumbed in in case Jebao ever fails I have a inline backup. I can try to get you pictures of setup but new to this forum.

713802D2-7EF1-4408-9756-0085F7602CE3.jpeg

OP
OP
Buck75

Buck75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about exact same tank build as you are building.. I started with Iwaki as had a few from when I moved.. Leaked and then I decided to go in sump route and bought the new Ecotech Vectra L2 and it did just OK but I am sold on Jebao 20000 as others have mentioned. I also use their wavemakers and the are cheap and work great. Also can really dial them up or down as too much flow can cause lots of gurgling. The Ecotech is still plumbed in in case Jebao ever fails I have a inline backup. I can try to get you pictures of setup but new to this forum.

713802D2-7EF1-4408-9756-0085F7602CE3.jpeg
Nice setup. Thxs for the input.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but I have some real world experience id like to share.

Do not reduce your plumbing at any point. Start at 1.5" and let it drain in tank at 1.5". Do not look for velocity out of the nozzle. I have mine going from 1.5" to a 1" seaswirl (then a 3/4" locline nozzel). Flow seemed fine but then i measured it and its legit at barely 1 times turnover. i removed the 3/4" nozzel and I am at almost 1.7X turnover. If and when I get the chance to remove the seaswirl plumbing I am just going to keep it 1.5" into the tank. The seaswirl isnt moving enough water anyways to make an impact. I iagine it would be close to 2.5-3X turnover as I had calculated.

The flow coming out has no velocity but thats fine bc my tanks has alot of circulation, the goal should be to get as much turnover possible for as less cost as possible. Costs a lot of money to get 5X turnover but i feel thats the ideal range if possible! I have a 4000gph perilhia amphibioous pump

Back