Bashsea Smart Series Sump

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bit the bullet and ordered a Bashsea Smart Series sump and wanted to see how many out there are using it. And also if you are using the Triton method, or traditional Filter sock method. It will be replacing a EShopps R-100, and my DT is 90g.

Any pros or cons to this style sump?

All info would be appreciated

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought one of their other sumps and it is so poorly designed and I am sending it back.

The space advertised for the skimmer is wrong because they included the filter sock in it. So if you had a skimmer that had a foot print close to what is listed it would not fit because the filter sock holder is taking up some of that space.

The returns section is so small most pumps wont fit. I do not know why it is so small.

Again it is not their new series but I was disappointed.

They look cool and are well built just poorly designed.

OP
OP
dank reefer

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of their other sumps and it is so poorly designed and I am sending it back.

The space advertised for the skimmer is wrong because they included the filter sock in it. So if you had a skimmer that had a foot print close to what is listed it would not fit because the filter sock holder is taking up some of that space.

The returns section is so small most pumps wont fit. I do not know why it is so small.

Thanks for the response. Which model did you end up getting?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With the new smart series, which I have, the listed skimmer chamber dimensions are equally misleading. They listed dimensions pretends that the filter socks do not exist, lol. I MAJORLY dislike the "C" sock holders, 1st because they are incompatible with any filter cup in the market. 2nd, even to replace a sock, you have to pull out their short section of blue tubing inside the sock (getting crud everywhere, probably), remove the sock sideways through the holder, put the tube in the new sock, put the sock in sideways, replace the tube. A pain in the butt.

Your return goes directly into the socks rather than in a small chamber before and calmly overflow into the socks- so expect lots of noise and splashing.

I also had to modify my pump, the return section is unbelievably undersized for the sump size. It all points to their desire to have larger advertised chambers instead of a real quality experience.

The spongey filter section before the return pump is larger than the return pump chamber itself.... ugh. The space for the return pump could have easily come from there.

Overall, I do regret my purchase. I could have gotten something much more convenient and useful at the same cost. I fell for the "OOOooo its pretty and new"- my fault, but I can resent the manufacturers choices.

In time I see myself making some heavy modifications to the sump.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the new smart series, which I have, the listed skimmer chamber dimensions are equally misleading. They listed dimensions pretends that the filter socks do not exist, lol. I MAJORLY dislike the "C" sock holders, 1st because they are incompatible with any filter cup in the market. 2nd, even to replace a sock, you have to pull out their short section of blue tubing inside the sock (getting crud everywhere, probably), remove the sock sideways through the holder, put the tube in the new sock, put the sock in sideways, replace the tube. A pain in the butt.

Your return goes directly into the socks rather than in a small chamber before and calmly overflow into the socks- so expect lots of noise and splashing.

I also had to modify my pump, the return section is unbelievably undersized for the sump size. It all points to their desire to have larger advertised chambers instead of a real quality experience.

The spongey filter section before the return pump is larger than the return pump chamber itself.... ugh. The space for the return pump could have easily come from there.

Overall, I do regret my purchase. I could have gotten something much more convenient and useful at the same cost. I fell for the "OOOooo its pretty and new"- my fault, but I can resent the manufacturers choices.

Really they do the same on the new sumps.. I do not know why they divide that last chamber up making the pump chamber so small.
This is no joke no normal pumps fits in mine. The pump section is 5"x5" and that is crazy.
I bought mine because it was opened not used so it was a good price but I now know why it was returned.

OP
OP
dank reefer

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The sump I am currently using is an old eshopps r-100, and the return section is at 4". And to me that is way too small, but I was able to fir the Cor-20 return pump in there, but there is no wiggle room with the pump. But I do understand that the 5"x5" return chamber is small among other sumps out there. I also have the issue when replacing filter socks with my current sump, so that's not going to be something new for me with this one. I appreciate your honest opinion on it.

Thanks

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really they do the same on the new sumps.. I do not know why they divide that last chamber up making the pump chamber so small.
This is no joke no normal pumps fits in mine. The pump section is 5"x5" and that is crazy.
I bought mine because it was opened not used so it was a good price but I now know why it was returned.

I WANTED to use a EcoTech Vectra L1 on this tank- but noooooo, it doesn't fit. The M1 is too small after head pressure too, with 1000gph after 5 feet before any manifolds, pvc 90's, etc.

I had to go with this "Current USA Eflux" pump, not compatible with apex, and still have the input jammed into the bubble-trap mesh.

OP
OP
dank reefer

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WANTED to use a EcoTech Vectra L1 on this tank- but noooooo, it doesn't fit. The M1 is too small after head pressure too. I had to go with this "Current USA Eflux" pump, not compatible with apex, and still have the input jammed into the bubble-trap mesh.

What size sump do you have? I'm getting the 30x15x16.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sump I am currently using is an old eshopps r-100, and the return section is at 4". And to me that is way too small, but I was able to fir the Cor-20 return pump in there, but there is no wiggle room with the pump. But I do understand that the 5"x5" return chamber is small among other sumps out there. I also have the issue when replacing filter socks with my current sump, so that's not going to be something new for me with this one. I appreciate your honest opinion on it.

Thanks

The cor20 is 3.875" W x 6.250" D x 4.875" H how did it fit? I got excited it might fit in mine. I can only find micro pumps which have no power.

OP
OP
dank reefer

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cor20 is 3.875" W x 6.250" D x 4.875" H how did it fit? I got excited it might fit in mine.
It fit just right, but with no wiggle room. Here is the pump in my current eshopp r-100.
fbea6dc3089f6e471d2b1d259ff6304d.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Eshopps r100 return is 4" x 11.5" so that is why.. Width is not a issue but 5" length is..

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No problem. At this point, I would be much happier with this basic design, where water flows into the socks rather than is poured into them from above (splashes+noise). And a nice sized return chamber. But, we all have regrets :confused:

https://advancedacrylics.com/collections/sumps/products/ref-s152

It looks like that sump does not have a adjustable water level.

For me I hate filter socks and would like to have one where I can put some filter sheets down like these: https://crystalreefaquatics.com/collections/stealth-series-reef-sumps

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like that sump does not have a adjustable water level.

How often do you need to adjust water level? Theres where it gets too complicated for our own good IMO. I am certain you can ask him to make baffles a certain height when you order. At the end of the day I bought the Smart Series sump for all these "Features", but ended up regretting it due to the deficiencies in the sock setup and return section.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How often do you need to adjust water level? Theres where it gets too complicated for our own good IMO. I am certain you can ask him to make baffles a certain height when you order. All these "Features" haha

Well if you change skimmers. Different skimmer prefer different depth water.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you change skimmers. Different skimmer prefer different depth water.

God forbid you put the new skimmer on a little stand xD. Skimmers sized for a similar space have similar height requirements anyway, and have built in adjustment for an inch or three. I know the sump has features, its just the deficiencies in the sock and return section make this purchase a regret for me.

It seems quality overall, just with some weak design point that make that sock maintenance, your main interaction with the sump, very difficult.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back