Bashsea Twisted Protein Skimmer pump question.

donfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bashsea Twisted Protein (beckett-style) Skimmer 8-30, which was running VECTRA L1 for 2 yrs. till it failed.
This skimmer Requires a 1,600 to 2,000 g.p.h. pump (Sicce Syncra Advance 9.0 was recommended).
I had a Danner Mag-Drive 24 but it was noisy so I replaced it with the VECTRA L1.
Does anyone know of a good reliable pump I could use ?

OP
OP
donfish2

donfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few of the smaller Sicce pumps. I have no problems with them. I was looking to see if anyone was running something different, to get a view of what else is working, maybe better.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer but haven’t set it up yet. So I am following . Did the mag drive work well but just noisy? Mine will be in the basement so noise isn’t an issue?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running that same skimmer with a Jebao DCP15000.

It's really too much pump - I need to keep it down to around 35% with the gate valve on the skimmer completely open.

OP
OP
donfish2

donfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer but haven’t set it up yet. So I am following . Did the mag drive work well but just noisy? Mine will be in the basement so noise isn’t an issue?
The Danner mag drive I found to have a 'humm' to it that drove me a little crazy (my bedroom is very close). I have it back on the skimmer now, but the 'humm' is not noticeable. I have the windows open so those outside sounds are keeping the 'humm' away... Hope that makes a little sense.

OP
OP
donfish2

donfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear ! I was considering going the Jabeo route. Probably 10 or 12k.
Have you been able to get a dark skimmate with your

It's really too much pump - I need to keep it down to around 35% with the gate valve on the skimmer completely open.
Have you been able to get a dark skimmate with your Bashsea ?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been able to get a dark skimmate with your

Have you been able to get a dark skimmate with your Bashsea ?
FA02DD59-2695-4D35-A445-907343B4CCA9.jpeg

OP
OP
donfish2

donfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have not been able to dial in my Bashsea Skimmer 8-30. I might not have the amount of bio load needed. It seems no matter what I do the skimmate is always light in color, wet. I put a air stone in it and it helped, but I would like to do it the right way.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to dial in my Bashsea Skimmer 8-30. I might not have the amount of bio load needed. It seems no matter what I do the skimmate is always light in color, wet. I put a air stone in it and it helped, but I would like to do it the right way.
mine produces skimmate as dark as my life reef skimmer does

OP
OP
donfish2

donfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear ! I was considering going the Jabeo route. Probably 10 or 12k.
I looked at the Jebao DCP15000 you recommended. It has a great price and parts are available. The reviews are mixed (as allways are), but I could get a spare, and still come out ahead over the Vectra.... Thanks for the help...

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the Jebao DCP15000 you recommended. It has a great price and parts are available. The reviews are mixed (as allways are), but I could get a spare, and still come out ahead over the Vectra.... Thanks for the help...
I'm running 3 of them across various functions - skimmer, return, transfer from mixing station. If any one were to burn out I have 2 I could use as a spare if necessary. I can certainly go without transferring water or running a skimmer for a couple days if I needed to wait for a new one to arrive.

So far - after over 2 years - I've yet to need a replacement.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back