Basic additives ??

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still beginning my first reef tank and know very little about some of the basic additives I'll need for a successful tank. I don't have much money to spend so I'd like to know some of the most influential or basic additives I could get and have on hand. Could anyone please shed some light on what you think I should invest in first before anything else?

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium and alkalinity and water changes. Food. Activated carbon.
GFO in case of emergency.(mine is over five years old)

I don't really have much to say beyond this except that depending on your goals, you don't even need calcium and alk beyond what your salt provides.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome, thanks! Do I have to get specific food for each fish I own or is there just a one fits all type out there?

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a good idea to research what an individual species needs but many species will eat a similar diet. I find that in general, one mix is good for most fish and then you can add things like Nori for supplementing vegetarians. There are exceptions to this rule.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have much to say beyond this except that depending on your goals, you don't even need calcium and alk beyond what your salt provides.

Calcium and alk have to be replenished if WC cannot cope with the demand. WC frequency and quantity differs from one reefer to others and how fast these basic element depleted depends on what corals are in the tank.

Edit: Back to OP questions, basic additives needed are calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. All these element must be tested and added based on test results.

Last edited:

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish do you have? I agree to doing research before making a purchase, I have to feed sea weed, flakes and copepods so not all fish eat the same thing. If there is one or two additives I live by, they are Special Blend and Nite out II. Eliminates ammonia and nitrites. These are especially important for smaller tanks.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any fish right now. I'm on day 1 of my tank cycle. I think I'm planning on getting 2 clowns , a goby, and possibly a dwarf angelfish eventually. Along with a decent cleanup crew. Does that seem ok for a bioload in my 29 gallon tank? Here is a pic of the finalized setup IMG_0416.JPG

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a marineland c-160 canister filter and a reef octopus 100 skimmer. Unsure whether to use the filter during my Red Sea mature pro kit cycle though. I'd probably be ok with just the 2 clowns and a goby then.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the carbon bags in my canister filter serve the same purpose as activated carbon?
That's what that is yes.

You'll want to ditch the canister imo.
They work but but it takes work. I have a in tank tunze skimmer and really try to not overfeed. That's the key. Feed healthy. Don't over feed.

If that light is the older non lense it's really good for that tank. Turn it up to full power though , it's not that powerful. But I think you could do a nem at the top and easy sps too. I'd have to check the specs again.
If it's the pro model with the lenses it's pretty powerful actually and you should set it correctly.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's pro. Here is the exact one I bought.

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 24 to 36-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFTNG3S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mEV5ybVPTXQJW

I haven't even installed the canister yet. I'm scared because its previous owner had it on a freshwater tank and I cleaned it pretty good but tubes and intake/outtake were a struggle to clean.

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old eheim canister that I use as a media reactor and place to put floss to polish the water. I only run it like once a month

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back