Basic additives ??

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's pro. Here is the exact one I bought.

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 24 to 36-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFTNG3S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mEV5ybVPTXQJW

I haven't even installed the canister yet. I'm scared because its previous owner had it on a freshwater tank and I cleaned it pretty good but tubes and intake/outtake were a struggle to clean.
Yea, dont sweat it too hard. Once you get as much gunk out, set a 5g buket of tap water on a table and add a tablespoon of bleach, and run the canister in it. hose it all down, rise well and set it aside in the sun to dry.
Its also a good thing to do from time to time to your water buckets, ato containers etc. to keep organics out and bacteria that can foul stored wter.

The specs for the light.
http://current-usa.com/support/orbit-marine-product-support/
http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Orbit-PAR-Measurements-1.pdf
Weve seen this light before here in r2r and the specs are pretty close to reality. I own one as well.
Not super powerfull so run it on full, and you can easily run a longer photo period.
You'll want to upgrade eventually, cuz Reefin!.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll do the bleach treatment. I used vinegar when cleaning it the first time. I know I'll eventually want to upgrade the lighting if everything goes smoothly for me. But as for right now I just wanted a decent setup to see if I have what it takes to maintain a successful reef that's also affordable. If it turns out ok, maybe after a year or so I'll upgrade to a larger tank and better equipment. Thanks for all you help. Loving the amount of awesome responses I get here on R2R. I'll probably be asking many questions in the future being as I don't have a local saltwater fish store. The nearest is a 2 hour drive away. I know I'm asking a lot of questions on the forum but I get the impression you guys like answering a helping fellow reefers. I appreciate all the help!

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One note on additives. A rule I like to follow is dont dose something if you cant test for it. Also, water changes are the best "additive" in the hobby. If anything is getting high or low, a good water change schedule with a balanced salt mix will bring it closer to the proper levels. Get a decent salt though like red sea. Cheap salts have anticaking agents and tend to have too low levels of magnesium and trace elements. I wouldnt use cheap stuff like instant ocean for example.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I have a 200 gallon box of instant ocean. I only have a 29 gallon tank so it may take me awhile to get through it. But the next salt purchase will be a better salt!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I have a 200 gallon box of instant ocean. I only have a 29 gallon tank so it may take me awhile to get through it. But the next salt purchase will be a better salt!
I wonder why Randy Farley phd. the resident chemist on reef2reef uses instant ocean. Hmmm....

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im absolutely not disagreeing with him. Does he have to add more elements to it to get his desired levels?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im absolutely not disagreeing with him. Does he have to add more elements to it to get his desired levels?
he uses kalk. And recommends dosing up to desired cal/alk levels. A good friend is on SPS dom dream tank and uses IO with a cal reactor, but maintains the same levels as IO, reflected on his triton test. Those numbers I believe are the exact same as NSW. It's that tank that made me realise it's not the salt.

Another friend here on r2r is using IO but dosing tropic Marine Cal alk with AMAZING results. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kh-guardian-automatic-alkalinity-controller-my-experiences.288011/

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest option to make up your holy trinity of calk, mag, and alk are as follows. Have a look on that certain auction site or Amazon.

You will need 3 x 5 litre screw top containers. Jerry cans fine or similar.

Measuring jug. Scales if buying in larger quantity. Funnel (large opening.).

Add 4 litre of RO water to jerry can 1.
Pour 2kg calcium chloride dihydrate with funnel in to jerry can 1.

Mix well.

Add rest of liquid up to the five litres it holds.
Mark on container calcium.

Repeat with jerry can 2 same instructions and ratios but this time use 2kg magnesium chloride
hexahydrate.

Mark on container magnesium.

Last container add 500gr of sodium bicarbonate mixed in 4 litres of RO water. Mix well. You can add some minor trace elements (take your pick from loads of available options). Mix again and top up to 5 litres.

Mark on container Alkalinity.

5ml of container 1 on 50 litre aquarium would raise calcium by 20ppm

Use that as a guide for each of the components. However be sure to test regular for the first couple of weeks to see your usage.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" If I would just do a WC every month, or every 2 weeks, 20%, and stop over thinking this hobby, I would save Time, Energy, Money, Coral loss, Fish loss, Mental stability, my hair, ...................

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" If I would just do a WC every month, or every 2 weeks, 20%, and stop over thinking this hobby, I would save Time, Energy, Money, Coral loss, Fish loss, Mental stability, my hair, ...................
Yes...But then the 20% water change would shock your corals and be back to square one ;)

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of acans and a sponge, kept my water so clean that the sponge died, lost half my acans and ended up returning the rest to the LFS. Now I'm just sticking to fluorescent color anemones.

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im concerned about water clarity and LPS chemical warfare so I run carbon all the time also. Ive been going back and forth between media bags and reactor. I carbon dose so if im not careful I clog the reactor with mulm. Media bag needs to be kneaded from time to time (not grinded) and I changed monthly but used twice as much as a reactor. I change the reactor every 2 weeks but use half the amount of the media bag changed twice as often. Im currently using a reactor and Im thinking about attaching the new Apex FMM 1/2" monitor to the reactor to monitor flow over time and send an alert when it gets below a threshold. Thats how I would know its time to change. I could also monitor flow with respect to carbon dosing amount and maybe tune it in better. It is considered a harsh carbon by some, but I prefer BRS ROX carbon. Super clean stuff.

To be clear, when I say carbon dosing I mean a vodka/vinegar blend and not GAC. I know I used the word carbon a lot and meaning different things.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im concerned about water clarity and LPS chemical warfare so I run carbon all the time also. Ive been going back and forth between media bags and reactor. I carbon dose so if im not careful I clog the reactor with mulm. Media bag needs to be kneaded from time to time (not grinded) and I changed monthly but used twice as much as a reactor. I change the reactor every 2 weeks but use half the amount of the media bag changed twice as often. Im currently using a reactor and Im thinking about attaching the new Apex FMM 1/2" monitor to the reactor to monitor flow over time and send an alert when it gets below a threshold. Thats how I would know its time to change. I could also monitor flow with respect to carbon dosing amount and maybe tune it in better. It is considered a harsh carbon by some, but I prefer BRS ROX carbon. Super clean stuff.

To be clear, when I say carbon dosing I mean a vodka/vinegar blend and not GAC. I know I used the word carbon a lot and meaning different things.
Got it. I dont carbon dose full time. I only want more bacteria from time to time, vitamin c is fine, Marine snow is big on that and aminos. Gac in a bag. I don't see a need for monitors. I don't really have any problems. my waters always pretty clear. I dont want it too clean because I have corals and filter feeds that eat it plus sponges and bivalves I've had for many years now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back