Basic advice needed for nano reef build

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 12 gallon long tank ( 35.5" x 7.9" x 9.9" ) and stopped here to get in input before I get the rest.

Things I'm fairly sure of:
DIY built in filter box. Similar to fluval spec V but about twice the volume for media. 2.5/3 inches deep.
Fragging on a budget. Zoa garden, perhaps some other beginner corals.
No aqua-scape unless omitting live rock is a bad idea. Bottemless for sure. Easy upkeep.

Things I'm less sure of:
Lights. Probably wall mounted (possible diy mounts). I want to be able to look down into the tank without the light ruining my view. It's a bedroom tank so nothing with a blaring loud fan, however I'm fairly tolerant some sound. I don't want to spend a lot but I also don't want to upgrade immediately. Looking for that good balance.

Pump. I'm pondering 200gph or greater to perhaps get away with no powerheads. My logic being you may as well filter the water if you're pumping it around in such a small tank. Also that steamline look, less wires, so if that's possible I'd like to give it a shot.

I look forward to hearing some recommendations. Thanks everyone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sicce 1.0 good quiet pump
Skimmer- ice cap K-1
Light - Kessil 150 or 160 which you can hang

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 12 gallon long tank ( 35.5" x 7.9" x 9.9" ) and stopped here to get in input before I get the rest.

Things I'm fairly sure of:
DIY built in filter box. Similar to fluval spec V but about twice the volume for media. 2.5/3 inches deep.
Fragging on a budget. Zoa garden, perhaps some other beginner corals.
No aqua-scape unless omitting live rock is a bad idea. Bottemless for sure. Easy upkeep.

Things I'm less sure of:
Lights. Probably wall mounted (possible diy mounts). I want to be able to look down into the tank without the light ruining my view. It's a bedroom tank so nothing with a blaring loud fan, however I'm fairly tolerant some sound. I don't want to spend a lot but I also don't want to upgrade immediately. Looking for that good balance.

Pump. I'm pondering 200gph or greater to perhaps get away with no powerheads. My logic being you may as well filter the water if you're pumping it around in such a small tank. Also that steamline look, less wires, so if that's possible I'd like to give it a shot.

I look forward to hearing some recommendations. Thanks everyone.
where did you get the tank?

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you get the tank?

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce 1.0 good quiet pump
Skimmer- ice cap K-1
Light - Kessil 150 or 160 which you can hang
I do like that skimmer, very much, but worry 13" height on the product might not fit. That looks like a nice pump. Thanks for the recommendations, really good stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqamai KPS Wavemaker
Inkbird thermostat
Cobalt MiniTherm
Shatterproof plastic heater, that's pretty cool. Thermostat increases the budget but I absolutely can't stand the quartz glass. Thanks for this it has me thinking.

Last edited:
Back