Basic Plumbing HELP!!!!

Terrence Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting my first building to include reef ready aquarium with a sump. My first setup had everything HOB. I need some advice on the most basic plumbing to get this setup start. I have the corner overflow with the mega flow overflow kit. But not sure on how to approach the plumbing underneath.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting my first building to include reef ready aquarium with a sump. My first setup had everything HOB. I need some advice on the most basic plumbing to get this setup start. I have the corner overflow with the mega flow overflow kit. But not sure on how to approach the plumbing underneath.
Well, I have been where you are in regards to doing your first plumbing of a tank with overflow and sump. Congrats! First thing I did was to determine which set-up I was going to use in the overflow. Are you familiar with Durso, Herbie, and bean animal overflow set-ups?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple methods.

I believe the mega overflow kit comes with a durso and a return.

Simplest is to use hoses to get from tank to sump while PVC looks cleaner and is less likely to grow algae than a clear hose.

HB Fisheye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the return going back up through the overflow?
If I'm understanding your mega flow kit right, all you need to do is connect the bulk head to your sump. Either with a hose or PVC. Looks like the bulk head has barbs on it so you might have to use a hose, unless you can change out the bulk head to a slip. Depends on what you prefer and where your sump is located.
Post some pictures if you can.
Most of the plumbing underneath will be for the return.

OP
OP
Terrence Henderson

Terrence Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have been where you are in regards to doing your first plumbing of a tank with overflow and sump. Congrats! First thing I did was to determine which set-up I was going to use in the overflow. Are you familiar with Durso, Herbie, and bean animal overflow set-ups?

I like the setup of the Herbie overflow due to the safety factor. But how can I make a return simple as possible since my tank has only 2 holes plumbed? Once I get things setup, ill post some pictures as of now I'm planning it out to make it as simple as possible.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the setup of the Herbie overflow due to the safety factor. But how can I make a return simple as possible since my tank has only 2 holes plumbed? Once I get things setup, ill post some pictures as of now I'm planning it out to make it as simple as possible.

Yes, pictures will help.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do a bean animal. I had three 1in pre-drilled holes in my overflow. One of those was supposed to be for the return line. Since I needed all three for a bean animal, I ran my return line up the back of the tank and down along each side of the overflow. I totally agree with js.aqua.project that the simplest means are with hose. I have a combo of silicon hose and PVC. Things were really tight b/t the bulkheadsfrom the bottom of the overflow to my sump. Too tight to really get a direct line from the bulkhead to the sump with PVC. So, I ran silicon tubing with barb fittings instead. It made things much easier and has worked great without leaks or any noise. Wish I could say that for the rest of my build!;)

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In a corner overflow, there is usually enough room to drill another hole for another bulkhead. Then you can do herbie

Or use the two holes that’r there, both for drain, and run a separate over the top/rim of the tank for return.

Bean animal has an added safety factor, but herbie is just as quiet. Herbie is also safer than single dorso

OP
OP
Terrence Henderson

Terrence Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do a bean animal. I had three 1in pre-drilled holes in my overflow. One of those was supposed to be for the return line. Since I needed all three for a bean animal, I ran my return line up the back of the tank and down along each side of the overflow. I totally agree with js.aqua.project that the simplest means are with hose. I have a combo of silicon hose and PVC. Things were really tight b/t the bulkheadsfrom the bottom of the overflow to my sump. Too tight to really get a direct line from the bulkhead to the sump with PVC. So, I ran silicon tubing with barb fittings instead. It made things much easier and has worked great without leaks or any noise. Wish I could say that for the rest of my build!;)
Since I only have 2 pre drilled hole. I think I'm going to use both for drainage and then use hoses to run from the sump to the aquarium (if its available at my hardware store). But not sure if this will work if I decide to go with ball valves on the return pump.

OP
OP
Terrence Henderson

Terrence Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a corner overflow, there is usually enough room to drill another hole for another bulkhead. Then you can do herbie

Or use the two holes that’r there, both for drain, and run a separate over the top/rim of the tank for return.

Bean animal has an added safety factor, but herbie is just as quiet. Herbie is also safer than single dorso
I dont feel comfortable yet to drill my aquariums. But using both holes for drains and then running hose is my best option. How can I incorporate ball valves with hoses though?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont feel comfortable yet to drill my aquariums. But using both holes for drains and then running hose is my best option. How can I incorporate ball valves with hoses though?
Get not feeling confident drilling tank, but it really is easy. Watch a vid, and keep it cool with water while drilling

For return something like this works
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/return-jet.html

They also have in line valves at BRS

Don’t waste time money on one way valve that’s destine to fail. Drill a small hole as siphon break just bellow water line on return line plumbing. Plenty of YouTube on that.

make sure you don’t fill the sump too much, then simulate a power outage by pulling the plug on tank, pump, skimmer, everything. See how much falls into sump and measure the difference. Then figure a water in sump max fill line Incase power goes out

Last edited:

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the holes already in the overflow as drains for a Herbie. Use the smaller one as the main siphon with a gate valve on it. The bigger one should be the emergency drain. Then send your return up and over the back of the tank so you don't have to drill another hole.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how mine looks. I was trying to save money by using some parts I already had, so you could probably get it looking a little bit cleaner if you wanted, or if you had more space. My tank has a corner overflow, as you can see, and the smaller hole is very close to the stand so I didn't have enough room for a union at the top. So I decided to just use a barb on the bulkhead and use braided tubing, then used another barb at the bottom to attach a gate valve that I had already used in a previous tank.
20181018_215734.jpg
20181018_215827.jpg
My return plumbing goes behind the stand where it's hidden, up and over the back of the tank into the overflow just to get it to look a little cleaner. You can also see the stand pipes in the overflow box.
20181018_220256.jpg 20181018_220306.jpg 20181018_220323.jpg
I still have to add water so I may need to adjust the drain hose lengths or standpipe heights, but this should help you get a pretty good idea of how to get started.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I only have 2 pre drilled hole. I think I'm going to use both for drainage and then use hoses to run from the sump to the aquarium (if its available at my hardware store). But not sure if this will work if I decide to go with ball valves on the return pump.
If you are adding ball valves to return in case of back siphoning, there are better solutions as mentioned above. My return nozzels are close enough to the surface for agitation that it does not make any difference at all hardly when I turn off my return pump. Very little siphons back into the return chamber. However, if you do run a ball valve it is the same as for your other connections. You would have your barb fittings at both ends is all. I like your idea of running a Herbie and the return up the back. You are on the right track IMO.

OP
OP
Terrence Henderson

Terrence Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how mine looks. I was trying to save money by using some parts I already had, so you could probably get it looking a little bit cleaner if you wanted, or if you had more space. My tank has a corner overflow, as you can see, and the smaller hole is very close to the stand so I didn't have enough room for a union at the top. So I decided to just use a barb on the bulkhead and use braided tubing, then used another barb at the bottom to attach a gate valve that I had already used in a previous tank.
20181018_215734.jpg
20181018_215827.jpg
My return plumbing goes behind the stand where it's hidden, up and over the back of the tank into the overflow just to get it to look a little cleaner. You can also see the stand pipes in the overflow box.
20181018_220256.jpg 20181018_220306.jpg 20181018_220323.jpg
I still have to add water so I may need to adjust the drain hose lengths or standpipe heights, but this should help you get a pretty good idea of how to get started.
I like this setup. Did you purchase the overflow kit or did you create you own out of pvc?

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back