Basic trumpet coral receding but why?

Decades

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got this guy over 4 months ago and it’s been super puffy and even sprouting new heads. Then Thursday it started to shrink up and expose some skeleton. Dipped it and my Duncan because they both looked bleak. Duncan looks great but this guy still is not looking good. Is it a pest that I cannot identify? Water parameters are great, except I did mix up a tiny amount of kalk with my ato. Any ideas?
2ebfb117de6bfcbeb0130c9de30e3de0.jpg
7ed2c3fc5293a5f699d12aad257c578a.jpg
73d049c3c8e94e03b964400e1263d90d.jpg
f1a00e6eeecfd31ffdfeab49f0076ec2.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? I’m sure you’ll get the help you need if you post them. If they are indeed perfect and lighting is right then I’d assume it’ll improve and you have nothing to worry about. :)

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever feed it? Mine looked like that when it was in a 2.5 gallon "QT" tank with low light and not really being fed
Now that I've been feeding mine meaty foods and giving it good light, it's gotten huge. It could also be a poison in the water such as soft corals (that's what happened in my QT tank) and I also had some invertebrate killing medicine (piperazine) which may have affected the coral... basically when they look like yours, they are in rough shape, but definitely recoverable.

April 10:
upload_2019-6-16_20-6-35.png

Now (mid-June):
upload_2019-6-16_20-13-4.png

Last edited:

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my case, duncans and candy canes are the first ones to react to high nitrates/phosphates. Could also be lighting, did you possibly tweak your lighting in those 4 months? Is it possible the kalk might've caused some type of parameter swing?

OP
OP
Decades

Decades

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll retest now but these were the parameters a few days before.
Phosphate 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Ammonia 0.0
Calcium 440
KH 10.5 / 161

I feed reef roids, reef chili and mysis.

Lighting is bottom of the tank under Cobalt Aquatics C-Ray 200 on LPS settings.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Ammonia 0.0
Calcium 440
KH 10.5 / 161

probably the kalk, I would give it 4 or 5 more days before being too worried

OP
OP
Decades

Decades

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Ammonia 0.0
Calcium 440
KH 10.5 / 161

754ea4da7ccd3680e582a66930759f1e.jpg

Ammonia is a little higher than I expected. I still test because it’s all relatively new system. I’ll see if it tries to feed.

OP
OP
Decades

Decades

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 6 months, not sure where this is coming from. I feed extremely sparingly and there is only 3 fish 8 snails and about 7 hermits. Everyone is accounted for. Maybe a bad test?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, something is off if you have zero phosphates, zero nitrates and a 6 month old tank, maybe you are not feeding enough... I don't know, either something is absorbing up your nitrates and phosphates or you aren't putting them in, but you said you feed the corals. Basically your "hungry" organisms shouldn't be limited by a lack of nutrients in the water (phosphate and nitrate) which is why many people run their tanks with more than zero phosphates/nitrates at any given time (besides also some of us being lazy).
The extra nutrients act as a buffer so the coral doesn't "starve" at any given time.

What is your setup like? Refugium? Sump etc

OP
OP
Decades

Decades

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad test. Rechecked 2 times, 0.0, 0.0. I’m thinking I might be under feeding. Have a Refugium skimmer live rock in a 29 gallon sump. Main tank is just a 38 gallon bow front. Filter socks and auto top off. Every time I feed the hermit crabs act like they’ve never seen food before! I’m working on the 75 gallon and not ready to go with an apex until I have both running.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Ammonia 0.0
Calcium 440
KH 10.5 / 161

My guess is that your nitrate and phosphates aren't really 0 ppm if you are running a refugium. However, those levels are very low, especially with your ALK levels.

It looks like you are using API test kits. If you are going to run nutrients that low, I would get more sensitive test kits so that you know you aren't bottoming out on your nutrients. Most LPS corals like water that has a little more nutrients in it. You could raise your nutrient by dosing or by removing about half of the algae in your refugium.

I would also suggest lowering your ALK to around 8 dKh.

OP
OP
Decades

Decades

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out most of my Chaeto and started to feed on a more regular basis. Still no Phosphates or Nitrates, and so far no algae or dino bloom (fingers crossed) and most everyone is perking up. Trying to find the thin line between high nutrient and low with the tools I have seems almost impossible. Should I invest in some hanna checkers or find a reef keeper lite?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out most of my Chaeto and started to feed on a more regular basis. Still no Phosphates or Nitrates, and so far no algae or dino bloom (fingers crossed) and most everyone is perking up. Trying to find the thin line between high nutrient and low with the tools I have seems almost impossible. Should I invest in some hanna checkers or find a reef keeper lite?
No you don’t need any fancy equipment at all. Feed a cube of mysis a day. Reef roid once a week. You will be perfect. You were feeding next to nothing and exporting those few nutrients with macro algae and a skimmer. Feed more, let it dirty up a bit. Most people run over 10+ nitrates and 0.03 phosphates on here and have been very successful. If your nitrates go above 50 your feeding to much, shoot for 10-25.

Edit. Hanna phosphate checker would be a worthwhile purchase.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back