Is this guy a goner?

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it today at the LFS. It looked fine when I picked it out. Thing is, the guy dropped the bag while bagging it and went to go get more water to rebag and now I’m not sure it’s the same coral because it did not look like this? This is it ~1/2hr after dipping and acclimating into my tank.. give it more time? One thing that I didn’t see at the LFS is that its skeleton is all beat up

IMG_6437.jpeg IMG_6435.jpeg IMG_6439.jpeg

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man... that guy is likely a gonner and that LFS should be drawn and quartered if they sold it to you in that condition... that is unacceptable, basically a scam.

Also just an fyi thats an LPS! aka a stony coral and maybe of the euphyllia or frimbraphyllia family.

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man... that guy is likely a gonner and that LFS should be drawn and quartered if they sold it to you in that condition... that is unacceptable, basically a scam.

Also just an fyi thats an LPS! aka a stony coral and maybe of the euphyllia or frimbraphyllia family.
Doesn’t look promising.
Oh man.. makes me want to take it back in but I don’t know if they’ll swap it for me

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth a shot. Tell them if they don’t you’ll expose them on R2R. :p
They just closed at 6pm but I reached out to the owner on messenger. This isn’t a store I frequent but I was looking for a gold color and I’m not sure if it was a good idea to come here lol. We have a reef club that he’s active in so I really hope he does right by this otherwise my review wouldn’t be good

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could always try to glue that broken part. I mean, it's a chance.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So it's a gold hammer? Cracked skeleton isn't good, but if you have good parameters it could recover.

However, hoping for recovery is not the point. Them selling something they broke during bagging is a terrible practice. I'd definitely mention it and ask for store credit or a refund.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got it today at the LFS. It looked fine when I picked it out. Thing is, the guy dropped the bag while bagging it and went to go get more water to rebag and now I’m not sure it’s the same coral because it did not look like this? This is it ~1/2hr after dipping and acclimating into my tank.. give it more time? One thing that I didn’t see at the LFS is that its skeleton is all beat up

IMG_6437.jpeg IMG_6435.jpeg IMG_6439.jpeg
As of now yes, but leave skeleton in there as once in a while polyps will emerge out of nowhere

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know… the tissue recession on that poor hammer is so bad. If the tissue itself looked better I would think it’d have a better chance of healing but it looks pretty rough. What did you dip in?

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now yes, but leave skeleton in there as once in a while polyps will emerge out of nowhere
Yup^ if the main polyp dies there is a chance the skeleton will push out new polyps somewhere! Still dunno how they do it but hey, i wont argue with an amazing survival trait

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I called and they were still there and let me come in for a replacement. They didn’t have any single head frags but he fragged one for me. It’s smaller for sure so that kinda sucks for $50 but at least I’m not stuck with the other one

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I called and they were still there and let me come in for a replacement. They didn’t have any single head frags but he fragged one for me. It’s smaller for sure so that kinda sucks for $50 but at least I’m not stuck with the other one
I’m glad they did that for you. The other one looked pretty gone. These things happen sometimes unfortunately. I’ve had hit or miss experiences with coral rx so I tend to use it at half strength now and it still seems to do the job.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back