Battery Backup Cable for VECTRA is now here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the same cable that was meant for the vortech, all it does is power on the controller. Your pump won't work. I am guessing the cable doesn't output enough voltage to power the pump. That's basically what the "booster" part is. I agree with everyone's argument here, however I think its a bit overpriced to pay $30 for a "booster". The cable should be no more than $20.
My pump works fine with the Vortech cable when the power goes out

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. My pumps worked fine with the power out for a day two weeks ago.

Confuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you all. What would you hook up to your battery backup in case of a power outage to preserve oxygen exchange? Your Vectra or your Vortecs to keep the tank alive? I'm leaning more towards the Vetra. What do you guys think?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you all. What would you hook up to your battery backup in case of a power outage to preserve oxygen exchange? Your Vectra or your Vortecs to keep the tank alive? I'm leaning more towards the Vetra. What do you guys think?
Surface agitation oxygenates water. I would employ whichever agitates the surface more, which IME is internal power heads (Vortechs).

I don't see much of a reason for battery back-up on your return pump unless you have your entire LSS (Life Support System: skimmer, heater, etc.) on battery back-up. As mentioned earlier power heads will keep you running until a generator is brought online to power up the rest of your LSS.

If money is no object I would employ back-ups on everything :)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain how this actually works?
When power is lost the Ecotech battery back-up automatically powers up your Vortechs or Vectras (and I guess Radions - seems aggressive and unnecessary) for a period of time (varies based on product) to ensure oxygenation is occurring. IMO these are to give us time to get generators running [so entire system can be ran during outage]. More info here.

Just like all batteries these do go bad, so I don't recommend going crazy and putting four on a 120 gallon. IME they last 2-3 years, and must be tested periodically (we do it once per month for clients) to ensure they're in working order.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back