Battery backup pump or powerhead- which is best?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a battery backup where you have to choose one, which is better- to backup your pump (sump to display) or a powerhead in the display tank, all else being equal (eg. backup hours available are approx. the same)?

A zillion backup threads on here, but haven't seen this addressed. Saw a video from Melev where he presented arguments for either... just wondering what folks here would say. May influence my powerhead decision.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an extended power outage a battery backup provides oxygenation and circulation so organisms can exchange food and waste. The sump, while not as critical and full of life as the display, is also susceptible to having stagnant water become toxic to the life it contains. A problem that compounds as dying or dead plants and animals release toxins or start to decompose. That toxic water will then be pumped into the display as soon as power comes back. Insert disclaimer here that sumps come in infinite sizes and contents, so the amount of possible exposure/risk also varies. However, the more a sump contains and the longer the power outage, the more it would benefit from having some water movement.

My system has a 75 gallon sump that fills to ~70 gallons of water in a power failure. It also contains a large refugium and frag system. My return pump also runs a venturi skimmer and waterfall algae scrubber. With your criteria of same backup hours of run time, I would absolutely run the return pump over a power head for my system.

Having said that, my battery backup runs a gyre in the display only. The primary reason is because my return pump pulls five times more power than the wave maker. I would have to get a massive RV or golf cart style battery to be able to run the return pump for the same length of time as my current 14 amp hour battery. One change I would make to my system if I did it again would be to run a pair of smaller return pumps. That would provide an additional level of redundancy for a pump failure and I would move my battery backup to one of the return pumps. Then I would have a happy medium between water movement and battery run time. If I had a 40 gallon all in one tank, I would just use a power head backup.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ecotech battery backup hooked up to my MP10. I am really satisfied with it. It will provide 3 full days of power in the event of an outage. I must say, it works as designed. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For pump with battery backup- icecap gyre 1-2 or 3K

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back