Ecotech Battery Backup for return pump

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to purchase an Ecotech battery backup and booster for my S2 return pump but have a few questions. Does anyone else have their return pump connected or just the powerheads? I'd prefer to run just the powerheads but I have neros and they wont connect, but I do have a radion light so can you also connect that and is it necessary? Also if you do run the return and have a reefmat it's going to overflow, so does this effect the waterflow at all? TIA

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't answer the specific question but:
My old 12V EcoTech battery backup runs through a cheapie DC boost converter (set to 24V) and runs my AI Nero 5 when needed during power outage.
*don't know about any efficiency loss through the boost converter but ran my Nero for last 16 hour power outage with not much voltage drop to the battery charge,,, seems like it would've run a lot longer but never tested just how long it could go (yet)

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with the reefmat, but I do have both my Vectra L2 and my Vortech MP40 connected to the same Ecotech battery backup. Vectra needs the booster cable of course.

They work fine on battery but for only about half the time given to devices connected.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't answer the specific question but:
My old 12V EcoTech battery backup runs through a cheapie DC boost converter (set to 24V) and runs my AI Nero 5 when needed during power outage.
*don't know about any efficiency loss through the boost converter but ran my Nero for last 16 hour power outage with not much voltage drop to the battery charge,,, seems like it would've run a lot longer but never tested just how long it could go (yet)
Might have to look into getting a converter

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with the reefmat, but I do have both my Vectra L2 and my Vortech MP40 connected to the same Ecotech battery backup. Vectra needs the booster cable of course.

They work fine on battery but for only about half the time given to devices connected.
On backup did you have to change your flow percentages at all?

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's part of the mobius app. You choose battery powered flowrate/speed in the settings of the device, it's different to the normal scheduling you would do. I have them both set to 25%, just to keep things flowing until I can sort out an alternative plan if need be.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all ecotech components. I had the battery hooked to the M2 and MP40 but then switched it to the MP40s on both sides. Longer power charge that way and just seemed like a better temporary option combined with a battery powered air stone. My power was out 13 hours.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there’s a backup unit that’s compatible with Nero’s? I’d prefer to run the Nero’s over a return pump in a power outage.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there’s a backup unit that’s compatible with Nero’s? I’d prefer to run the Nero’s over a return pump in a power outage.
Not an expert but I did research this about a year ago so...
-- IceCap used to make a 24 Volt backup battery but don't think they're available any more.
-- I found some posts where people said their Nero worked on 12V battery but that did NOT work for mine.

My personal opinion only:
-- 12V batteries/chargers seem to be more common and affordable than 24V although you could DIY whatever you want,,, but you already have the EcoTech 12V, right?
-- DC boost converter to run 24V from 12V battery works fine for me (Nero 5) and there are many options for about $15 in the USA (like Amazon),,, but not sure about "down under"

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not what you’re looking for but have you considered just running a UPS? If it was just for the NERO’s, I bet you’d get hours and hours. Maybe not as much as with a battery but it’s an easy option.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ordering the EcoTech backup, once I receive it and hook it all up I’ll let u know how it goes.
Just for reference in case you need to adapt some connectors...

O.D. / I.D. connector sizes on MY units are:
  • Nero DC jack is 5.5 x 2.1 mm
  • EcoTech OUTPUT 12V DC jacks are 3.5 x 1.35 mm
*I bought a cheapie pack of adapters that go both ways (male-to-female and vice versa) 5.5x2.1 to/from 3.5x1.35,,, again off Amazon

No idea about the other pumps/etc you're dealing with

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Ecotech BB and hooked it up to my Vectra S2 and it ran fine when I tested it. I've since changed pumps and are in the process of converting my booster cable to fit my Nero 5 like @EricR did.
Just out of curiosity, is the "booster cable" basically a 12V to 24V DC converter?
*I assume so

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, is the "booster cable" basically a 12V to 24V DC converter?
*I assume so
Yes, the vectra was a 24V pump and thats why I had to get the ecotech booster cable to convert it, so all I really have to do is plug an adaptor plug straight onto the booster plug.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*I assume so
@EricR I finally got around to setting this up on the weekend using the battery backup via the booster cable via an adaptor to plug it into one of my nero 5's. It worked fine in the beginning but then I noticed in the evening that my nero it was plugged into wasn't working, and when I plugged the nero's original plug/power brick back in it started working again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back