Buying New Tank Making Equipment Decisions

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm Getting back into the hobby I did it for about 6-7 years and now we are ready to get back into it!

We are going to get a water box Infinia 150.4 Dimensions 48.2" x 25.3" x 21.7")

I've been doing a ton of reading on here and research along with videos on youtube and have been narrowing down some of the equipment I want to use,

We are going to run a mixed reef system but light on the sps I but will still have some in the tank.

I have a rack mount apc battery backup which I will run from the basement but also I think i want to run something on the powerheads as well.

Lights:

Option 1: 2x Hydra 32's w/ 2 4ft blade coral grow light bars.
Option 2: 2x Hydra 64's w/ 2 4ft blade coral grow light bars.
Option 3: Radeon XR30 G6 Blue w/ 2 4ft blade coral grow's.
Option 4: Kessel AP9X ( I hear the shimmer is amazing)

Im not really sure what the right thing to do is Between these lights! I keep going around in circles which one to use. I want the ease of setup picking the spectrums, and a really good shimmer on the tank with a lighter blue look. I used to run halides back when i had my old tank which was more sps dominant.

Controller:

Apex or hydros, Ive been reading a lot about the two and of them and it seems both are great. What I Don't like about the hydros is it does not have a rj45 port or at least that I havent seen.

It seems the apex interface is better and the integration between the components and the controller and with premade control board makes it really easy to make it look good in the sump area. Talking my self into it maybe? lol

Return Pump:

I plant to eventually run a uv steralizer and one or 2 reactors so Im not exactly sure what size pump to get I believe it will be in

Option 1: Vario S-4 or S6
Option 2: Neptune Core 15
Option 3: Vectra S2 or M2

Skimmer:

I'm not sure if a 6 or 8 in skimmer would be the right thing, I was looking at the Reef Octopus Elite 150 or a Regal 150.

Powerheads:

my last tank was a 75 and I had two very cheap powerheads, but this time I want to do something nice potentially with a battery backup. How many do you think I will need in that 100 gallon display? 2?

I really like the vortech mp40 (also because of the battery backup feature) I think the glass is too thick for the MP10, But with that Said I also really like the Reef Octopus Pulse 2's

Heaters:

I hear the bulk reef supply heaters are very good I would like to run 2. Would you guys say that 2 250's would be fine for redundancy? Should one be run off the controller (apex or hydros) and one off of a standalone controller?

Thanks for all your guys help I cant wait to hear from you all!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on kessil AP9x, I use one on both my systems. It has plenty of power to grow SPS up top where both lamps intersect.

IMG_4161.jpeg
IMG_3867.jpeg
IMG_4086.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For return pump, I encourage you to check out the Reefbreeders Nautilus line. They run silent and are DC controllable. For power heads, 2 MP40s should do the trick if you’re not going SPS heavy, just make sure the return nozzles create good surface agitation as vortecs are not great for that.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! How big is your tank running that one kessel?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s Basically the same size as my Aquarium. I run two Simplicity 1600 Return Pumps, one goes to the Center Return and Manifolded to a spinner in the Refuge section of my Sump. The other to two back glass bulkheads, and Manifold to a UV. Skimmer is a LifeReef 24, run off of a Simplicity 1000, takes me all of 5 minutes to clean the cup, and sometimes wipe the throat out. For heaters I use the cheap preset Aqueon Heaters, with Inkbird Controller as a Safety.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s Basically the same size as my Aquarium. I run two Simplicity 1600 Return Pumps, one goes to the Center Return and Manifolded to a spinner in the Refuge section of my Sump. The other to two back glass bulkheads, and Manifold to a UV. Skimmer is a LifeReef 24, run off of a Simplicity 1000, takes me all of 5 minutes to clean the cup, and sometimes wipe the throat out. For heaters I use the cheap preset Aqueon Heaters, with Inkbird Controller as a Safety.
I Checked out life reef, very cool stuff!

I think I would run two kessels if I were to do this but I keep leaning towards the hydras or the radeon. or maybe im underestimating the performance of a kessel

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever do a array of the small kessels so you can adjust each one to do a mixed reef?

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
47x21x20 inches. The AP9x was made to cover a 48x24 area.
from what ive read the 9x on a 48 the par levels are quite dim around the edges and would need 2 to really get good lighting.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what ive read the 9x on a 48 the par levels are quite dim around the edges and would need 2 to really get good lighting.
I actually did a PAR map using my own meter - unless you’re doing SPS all over, it should be ok, but nothing wrong with having 2. Bear in mind I run my lights at only 60% intensity.
1704254962166.png

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did a PAR map using my own meter - unless you’re doing SPS all over, it should be ok, but nothing wrong with having 2. Bear in mind I run my lights at only 60% intensity.
1704254962166.png
Appreciate the input. That’s good to know about percentage. Always have more to go if needed

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost track of the number of Skimmers I’ve had over the years. My First was a Lee’s with the Basswood Airstones, I even made a couple back in the 80’s out of Bottles and Jars. The best, I’ve ever had is the LifeReef 24. Super Dependable and easy to tune. Takes under Five Minutes to clean the Cup, and on occasion have to wipe out the throat. The pumps used are the Simplicity 1000. I hit the Fed button, clean the first one, then the second one. I then check and wait for the first pump to start. Body doesn’t have to be cleaned, I rarely clean the Ventura, mostly out of precaution, before going on vacation.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost track of the number of Skimmers I’ve had over the years. My First was a Lee’s with the Basswood Airstones, I even made a couple back in the 80’s out of Bottles and Jars. The best, I’ve ever had is the LifeReef 24. Super Dependable and easy to tune. Takes under Five Minutes to clean the Cup, and on occasion have to wipe out the throat. The pumps used are the Simplicity 1000. I hit the Fed button, clean the first one, then the second one. I then check and wait for the first pump to start. Body doesn’t have to be cleaned, I rarely clean the Ventura, mostly out of precaution, before going on vacation.
Thanks for the great info!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any input on the skimmers?
I just upgraded in sizes. I have very good results from Reef Octopus and Tunze. Running a Reef Octopus 300 int varios as the main running wet, in sump chamber 3, and a tunze 9410 for ozone water output from my Avast/posiden set up in sump chamber 2. Tank size is a 300 pretty well stocked about 40 fish.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded in sizes. I have very good results from Reef Octopus and Tunze. Running a Reef Octopus 300 int varios as the main running wet, in sump chamber 3, and a tunze 9410 for ozone water output from my Avast/posiden set up in sump chamber 2. Tank size is a 300 pretty well stocked about 40 fish.
Nice Setup!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back