Battery backup suggestions

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generator for any long term outages. However, my power tends to go out for 2 to 3 hours at a time. It is a real pain to drag out the generator not knowing how long the power is actually going to be out. I am looking for a battery back up for both of my tanks and maybe the fridge and Wi-Fi. Similar to the Jackery.
does anyone have experience with the larger battery back ups that could run my tanks and the fridge for eight hours or so? I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars, but would be willing to invest in a good one.
How about mAh? How much would you think would be needed to run two tanks, fridge, and freezer, and maybe one or two other items?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking to run all of those devices (including the aquarium) for several hours on battery backup, you're probably looking at several thousand dollars.

Have you looked into the Tesla battery systems?

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I guess that was a bit optimistic. Probably closer to a few hours. I do not necessarily want to run everything on the tanks. Really just the wave makers (4 total between the 2 tanks). And probably the fridge and wifi as well.
What would get me closer to that range? Anything that could hold out for a few hours without having to drag out the generator.

Fish con carne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
intellipower, powerware are good extreme enviro batt back up units. Large load/current draw spike safe. They have excellent transition voltage regulation and source input filtering. However, I would put your tank and gear only on the UPS. The fridge and other BIG spike draws (fridge compressor, ac compressor etc...) will only drain batt super fast. The batt backup should be used to buy you time to setup gen set and protect from brown outs/load shifting spikes etc... That being said, tank only on ups, you can buy units that will last 6,8,10 hours for a thousand or 2.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better off buying a smaller generator like a 2kVa that is simple to get running. You can get pure sines ones that are 50db and under 50 pounds for under 600 dollars. If you want to make life easy just install a pass through under aquarium or next to it. Can be something simple like this:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I guess that was a bit optimistic. Probably closer to a few hours. I do not necessarily want to run everything on the tanks. Really just the wave makers (4 total between the 2 tanks). And probably the fridge and wifi as well.
What would get me closer to that range? Anything that could hold out for a few hours without having to drag out the generator.
For just the tank (wavemakers) I'd look at the EcoTech battery backup (Vortechs), Icecap battery backup (Maxspect, Red Sea gyres) or something like a 1500Ah UPS (I snagged a nice Cyberpower one off Amazon for <$200).

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Triplite UPS back ups for both of my tanks. 2 are 810 watts and one is 900 watts. Besides what I listed below I also have my WiFi router, AT&T box, Blink camera module and 2 blink cameras on the UPS's also to maintain internet connections and so I can see what's going on if I'm not home.

I have a 810 and a 900 on my 90g and a 810 on my 55g. I have the UPS's set up to run lights, power heads and heaters.

The 55g FOWLR tank only has 1 power head, 1 heater and the light will run on the UPS for about 180 minutes.

The 90g has 2 Maxspec gyre powerheads, 2 heaters, Reefbreeders ProV2 48 inch light running at 88%. Both UPS's get about 1 hour of run time to support all that. The biggest benefit is that if the power flickers on and off or is only off a short time none of my equipment loses power so it all stays connected.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back