Battery backup/UPS

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what people are using as a UPS or battery backup for a reef tank if the power goes out. I know there are some DIY builds if you have built one I would like to know more about it, what the specs are, devices you are using, how long it will run without power, and cost. I had a tank crash while I was on vacation and lost several coral and fish. I need to prevent this from happening. I would need to run my return pump which is 60W and a heater which is 250W I realize that is a lot of draw, I have a 90 gallon tank and would have my backup heater on the UPS or battery backup. I believe I could get by with a 250W heater. I just desperately need some suggestions/ideas/ your own personal builds (if you don’t mind sharing) and what you have plugged in for a power outage. I am really unfamiliar with the whole battery backup systems and UPS in general. Any advice would help. Thank you guys so much!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what people are using as a UPS or battery backup for a reef tank if the power goes out. I know there are some DIY builds if you have built one I would like to know more about it, what the specs are, devices you are using, how long it will run without power, and cost. I had a tank crash while I was on vacation and lost several coral and fish. I need to prevent this from happening. I would need to run my return pump which is 60W and a heater which is 250W I realize that is a lot of draw, I have a 90 gallon tank and would have my backup heater on the UPS or battery backup. I believe I could get by with a 250W heater. I just desperately need some suggestions/ideas/ your own personal builds (if you don’t mind sharing) and what you have plugged in for a power outage. I am really unfamiliar with the whole battery backup systems and UPS in general. Any advice would help. Thank you guys so much!
How long are you looking to prevent an outage for?

Lots of options and lots of different price points

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. On just a return pump I get about 3 hours. For longer I have a generator. The UPS really comes in handy for short outages or blips.

APC UPS 1500VA UPS Battery Backup...

I also use an apc1500 smart UPS for my smaller system and a generator for longer outages but some larger systems could benefit from a diy battery backup system.

I had one designed with a large battery and inverter for the whole system or just a small battery directly connected to the ecotech powerheads

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular UPS’s, etc won’t provide very much runtime at all. What you’re likely preparing for is a ‘black swan’ event, a hurricane, storm, earthquake, etc which may cause a power outage between 12 hours and one week. It’s happened to me before in various parts of the world (thankfully the grid virtually never fails here, but it did frequently when I lived in other parts of the world).

If you have a standalone home, I highly recommend a full off grid or grid failover solar/battery system (I have this on a standalone house) and/or generator.

Also don’t forget you can get powerful air pumps that can move a lot of water and consume much lower wattage. A ~27 watt air pump could keep thousands of liters of saltwater in motion across several systems, for example.

Last edited:

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I just replied to a similar thread a minute ago. I have a deep cycle marine battery powering a small USB pump for circulation. There’s a relay in there that kicks on the pump when the power turns off.

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to stay around $500 or below so however long I could get out the more the better, before i have to plug in a generator and I need to figure out how to plug it in and have it connected to power my tank.
How long are you looking to prevent an outage for?

Lots of options and lots of different price points

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. On just a return pump I get about 3 hours. For longer I have a generator. The UPS really comes in handy for short outages or blips.

APC UPS 1500VA UPS Battery Backup...

What about for a heater? Wouldn’t you need to keep the heater on as well?

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular UPS’s, etc won’t provide very much runtime at all. What you’re likely preparing for is a ‘black swan’ event, a hurricane, storm, earthquake, etc which may cause a power outage between 12 hours and one week. It’s happened to me before in various parts of the world (thankfully the grid virtually never fails here, but it did frequently when I lived in other parts of the world).

If you have a standalone home, I highly recommend a full off grid or grid failover solar/battery system (I have this on a standalone house). If you aren’t in a house and aren’t DIY inclined, check out Ecoflow’s Delto Pro ecosystem - a 21.6kW LiFePO4 battery setup + generator + solar panels (I’m in the process of installing this in my mansion, what you Americans call a condo!). I do also use UPS’s as they provide additional protection from surges, etc. Also make sure that your router and ‘modem’ are on battery backup so you can control things remotely if you’re away when the power goes out (and if the internet connection is still working).

Btw, Ecoflow also has a DC powered air conditioner in their ecosystem, something worth considering If you use AC to maintain room temperatures as opposed to an aquarium chiller.

Also don’t forget you can get powerful air pumps that can move a lot of water and consume much lower wattage. A ~27 watt air pump could keep thousands of liters of saltwater in motion across several systems, for example.
I’m looking for something $500 or below

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No absolute need for heat if the outage is only a couple hours.
After that then yes.
A couple hours as in… how long? I have a 90 gallon tank I would think it would drop from 78 degrees down a degree a hour?

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways I guess my better question is how will I hook up a generator to power my tank. We have a generator just don’t know if that would have to feed into the breaker box somehow or some electrical stuff? I’m unfamiliar with

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a EcoTech battery backup on my MP10's. I have a battery backup for my controller but the only thing that runs is the MP10's. All pumps and heaters are off. I also have battery backup for my router and modem. We went through rolling blackouts in February over a year ago. They lasted almost a week and the outside temp was below 32 degrees the whole time. Some times it was an hour on and a hour off and one day they were over 4 hours on and over 4 hours off. It was alway on and off the same amount of time. The tank did get just below 70 degrees before the blackouts stopped. It took a couple of days to get back up to 76 degrees. I did not loose a coral or a fish from this. Afterwards I found out one of my two heater was not working but in this case it may have worked in my favor since it took longer to heat back up once the power was back on. The main thing is flow. Everything else can probably wait till you can intervene.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back