Battery Backup Wiring Question

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
... If long term power outages are this frequent, think about a small backup generator and a midsized UPS for the fish tank. Can get a self contained 1500va UPS for about 150. then a small generator for 300 or so, and have powerless runtime measurable in days, not hours.

That's the route I'm going.

My backup solution includes:

2 x APC UPS 1500 (net connected so I get emails/sms on power loss/restore) - should give me few hours to get the generator going.
12V Deep Cycle Battery to power the Tunze's via its failover kit - will keep the waterflow going if the generator is not hooked up for many more hours.
3000W Honda Inverter Generator (that will also run few other things at home) - when power is not back fast enough.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BZOFIQ they also make external batteries to boost the capacity of a single UPS. lose a little redundancy, but also a little cheaper, and you get the benefit of keeping everything plugged into the same outlet banks.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Honda 3000is generator for long term.

With the feedback I have received here, I've come to see the many improvements I should make with this.

I did consider the APC 1500 with an external battery, but I wasn't able to get the hours I wanted. That is why I built this backup system and added a second and then a third battery. I've been told that one battery should get me 24 hours. I don't know about that.

I have heavy gauge wire; it is about the thickness of a pair of quality jumper cables. I think they are 4 gauge. When I rebuild I'll use the heavier gauge wire.

I don't have any experience with APEX and am curious to know how it could be used as a way of turning on the inverter as needed. But if there is a power outage, how would the APEX send a signal to turn on the inverter?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back