Battery backup

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested in purchasing the hydros wave engine but i am curious about battery backup. I currently run 2 xf230s and 2 xf350s. Id love to hook them to your controller but first I need to know if the newer icecap battery 2.0 24 volt pack will work? What do I need to buy other than the hydros and the icecap battery? I would also like to know if it is possible to use diy 24 volt battery backup to the controller? I ask this because I’d much prefer a diy 18ah 24 volt backup over your 24volt 2.5 ah battery. I can’t justify the money on the controller unless I am able to back it up.

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested in purchasing the hydros wave engine but i am curious about battery backup. I currently run 2 xf230s and 2 xf350s. Id love to hook them to your controller but first I need to know if the newer icecap battery 2.0 24 volt pack will work? What do I need to buy other than the hydros and the icecap battery? I would also like to know if it is possible to use diy 24 volt battery backup to the controller? I ask this because I’d much prefer a diy 18ah 24 volt backup over your 24volt 2.5 ah battery. I can’t justify the money on the controller unless I am able to back it up.

Im not allowed to say much , but this is what I can say. We have been listening to our customers wants and needs. We have been diligently working on a lot of other things behind the scenes. What you have seen thus far is just the tip of the iceberg! Your concerns will soon be put to rest. :p;)

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not allowed to say much , but this is what I can say. We have been listening to our customers wants and needs. We have been diligently working on a lot of other things behind the scenes. What you have seen thus far is just the tip of the iceberg! Your concerns will soon be put to rest. :p;)
I get that you can’t comment on upcoming products. I would like to know if there is a way to use either a 12v diy battery or The original icecap 12v battery backup of which I already own 2. I know I can power my gyres using the Included controllers with this system but I’d like to know if I can use the hydros with it and if so how do I connect the hydros to the battery.

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that you can’t comment on upcoming products. I would like to know if there is a way to use either a 12v diy battery or The original icecap 12v battery backup of which I already own 2. I know I can power my gyres using the Included controllers with this system but I’d like to know if I can use the hydros with it and if so how do I connect the hydros to the battery.

Battery and WiFi outlets are not compatible. If you kill the WiFi Outlet, then it is the same as out of power as far as the battery is concerned and the pump will start to pull power from the battery. That is the same with all controllers.

So it depends on what you’re trying to run and what brand pumps.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery and WiFi outlets are not compatible. If you kill the WiFi Outlet, then it is the same as out of power as far as the battery is concerned and the pump will start to pull power from the battery. That is the same with all controllers.

So it depends on what you’re trying to run and what brand pumps.
I’m in the process of setting up a new 240 reef. My current tank is a 90 and I run 2 maxspect xf230s with 2 icecap battery backups the original version. I plan on using the 2 xf230s I already own and buying two xf350s. I’d like to use your New hydros controller because it will save me power outlets and be more neat. It will also save me money because I can buy the pumps only and connect directly to the hydros controller. That being said I need a battery backup solution. If the hydros system doesn’t allow the use of a backup I’ll need to use the maxspect 350s with the controller that allows me to use the icecap battery backup. If I buy the hydros now I am betting my tanks safety on a distant hope of a future backup system that may or may not come out at some point in the distant or not too distant future. If I go the other way and buy the maxspect 350s with the maspect gyre controller that already works with a backup I probably wouldn’t buy the hydros controller as well. I hope that makes sense.

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up a new 240 reef. My current tank is a 90 and I run 2 maxspect xf230s with 2 icecap battery backups the original version. I plan on using the 2 xf230s I already own and buying two xf350s. I’d like to use your New hydros controller because it will save me power outlets and be more neat. It will also save me money because I can buy the pumps only and connect directly to the hydros controller. That being said I need a battery backup solution. If the hydros system doesn’t allow the use of a backup I’ll need to use the maxspect 350s with the controller that allows me to use the icecap battery backup. If I buy the hydros now I am betting my tanks safety on a distant hope of a future backup system that may or may not come out at some point in the distant or not too distant future. If I go the other way and buy the maxspect 350s with the maspect gyre controller that already works with a backup I probably wouldn’t buy the hydros controller as well. I hope that makes sense.
I think your confusing the Control with the Wave Engine. Those are 2 different products that do different things.
The Wave engine is the one that is made for running and controlling pumps. .

the Control 2 and Control 4 are more of a controller designed for controlling ph probe, temperature sensor , they have WiFi outlets that you can control etc.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also we will be releasing some things you can use for the Wave engine so hold onto those batteries you have :)
Yes you are correct I am sorry. I did mean the wave engine. I've searched online and can't seem to find a solution. On your Website it's says the wave controller is fully compatible with 12 volt battery backups but in this Thread going back to march you say a solution is just around the bend. I really want to invest in this but without solid info and dates it's a hard sell. The cable was talked about in March which was almost 9 months ago! The conflicting info between forum and your website is confusing. How do you expect customers to justify a 350.00 starting investment into a system with conflicting info and around the bend date estimates? Am I missing something and the cable or another solution is available? If not the website is pretty missinformimg.

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are correct I am sorry. I did mean the wave engine. I've searched online and can't seem to find a solution. On your Website it's says the wave controller is fully compatible with 12 volt battery backups but in this Thread going back to march you say a solution is just around the bend. I really want to invest in this but without solid info and dates it's a hard sell. The cable was talked about in March which was almost 9 months ago! The conflicting info between forum and your website is confusing. How do you expect customers to justify a 350.00 starting investment into a system with conflicting info and around the bend date estimates? Am I missing something and the cable or another solution is available? If not the website is pretty missinformimg.

When we put things on the website that’s indicative of upcoming releases. What I can say is more announcements are coming soon. :cool:

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we put things on the website that’s indicative of upcoming releases. What I can say is more announcements are coming soon. :cool:
To me that's a bit of shady advertising. The website makes it sound like this is available now. Makes no mention of it being available sometime in the future. It took several posts to get the answer I wanted and I still had to read between the lines because I never got a straight yes or no. Very deceiving imo.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that's a bit of shady advertising. The website makes it sound like this is available now. Makes no mention of it being available sometime in the future. It took several posts to get the answer I wanted and I still had to read between the lines because I never got a straight yes or no. Very deceiving imo.

Unfortunately, batteries have been extremely difficult to come by in 2020 due to the pandemic and other reasons. Not only for our industry, but for the entire global economy. It's been a royal PIA. We are very sorry we've kept people waiting and have had numerous discussions internally about this... and I'm not even directly involved with acquisition, so that means they've probably talked about it a lot more than that. This is in no way a denial or rejection of responsibility, but a lot of the WaveEngine marketing material was created before Michael (who replied above) and I were hired. However, what you're describing is exactly the type of thing he and I work to avoid. Can you point me to the pages you are referring to so that we can update them? While we know a solution is coming, we don't know when at this point, and I don't want to upset anyone else. I am accustomed to a company culture where you under promise and over deliver, so it pains me to see that the trust factor has been compromised. We are real humans and we really care! Please feel free to call me at (985) 605-7397 any time. I'll always tell you what I know and what I don't at any given time. We don't want to mislead anyone.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. This is the page that says it's fully compatible. Just need to plug in a 12v icecap battery and configure the pumps. I get what you're trying to do and that you can't spill company secrets. I think a simple no I'm sorry it's not available as of yet but we are working on it is an acceptable answer. If you scroll up through the thread you'll see the question was never answered it with a direct no...only that something is coming. What's on that page and what's on here were just confusing. Thank you for clarifying.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are correct I am sorry. I did mean the wave engine. I've searched online and can't seem to find a solution. On your Website it's says the wave controller is fully compatible with 12 volt battery backups but in this Thread going back to march you say a solution is just around the bend. I really want to invest in this but without solid info and dates it's a hard sell. The cable was talked about in March which was almost 9 months ago! The conflicting info between forum and your website is confusing. How do you expect customers to justify a 350.00 starting investment into a system with conflicting info and around the bend date estimates? Am I missing something and the cable or another solution is available? If not the website is pretty misinforming.

The products we launched in the fall were products manufacturers told us we would release in the spring. Pretty much everything that could go wrong, has this year. It's been one disappointment after another!

I share the most up-to-date information I have when I post here. Sometimes that information comes from first-hand knowledge or a trusted source. Other times, it comes from our sales team. Do manufacturers tell our sales guys what they want to hear sometimes? Probably!

Before CoralVue, I worked at Marine Depot for 12 years. Combined, I've probably published more conflicting statements on Reef2Reef than your average member! But I never mean to misinform people. I would never intentionally misrepresent the capabilities of a product. People who know me know how honest I am. It keeps getting me in trouble at CoralVue!

I included my phone # above if you want to talk more later. I'll go pester the HYDROS guys later and see if we can get them to spill the beans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The products we launched in the fall were products manufacturers told us we would release in the spring. Pretty much everything that could go wrong, has this year. It's been one disappointment after another!

I share the most up-to-date information I have when I post here. Sometimes that information comes from first-hand knowledge or a trusted source. Other times, it comes from our sales team. Do manufacturers tell our sales guys what they want to hear sometimes? Probably!

Before CoralVue, I worked at Marine Depot for 12 years. Combined, I've probably published more conflicting statements on Reef2Reef than your average member! But I never mean to misinform people. I would never intentionally misrepresent the capabilities of a product. People who know me know how honest I am. It keeps getting me in trouble at CoralVue!

I included my phone # above if you want to talk more later. I'll go pester the HYDROS guys later and see if we can get them to spill the beans.
I get it....delays happen. You guys have definitely answered my questions. I will be ordering the wave engine for my 300 total volume new build. At first I will use 2 xf350s on the wave engine and until a backup solution is available, I'll keep my 2 xf230s running off the included controller and icecap battery. Once I the wave engine can accept a backup I'll run all 4 gyres off the wave engine. You should know that I am a pretty heavy apex user and I will probably end up switching to the new Hydros controller on the new build. Your customer service has been great...above and beyond what is expected on an internet forum and the build quality seems to be of a much higher quality than what anything apex puts out. Thanks for being so responsive.

beolson25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG ... so ... I don't mean to hijack a thread but I'm trying to figure out a DC backup solution for my Reefwave 45 Gyre Pump. I planned on getting the Ice Cap v2 but it looks like that has been discontinued. Can anyone provide an update if the possible upcoming solutions will include 24v solutions that may work for ReefWave pumps?

Worth noting, I called the CoralVue main line a couple times and the number posted above and both went straight to voicemail with no response. I Really hope I can get an answer from this group. Thanks in advance.

beolson25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG ... so ... I don't mean to hijack a thread but I'm trying to figure out a DC backup solution for my Reefwave 45 Gyre Pump. I planned on getting the Ice Cap v2 but it looks like that has been discontinued. Can anyone provide an update if the possible upcoming solutions will include 24v solutions that may work for ReefWave pumps?

Worth noting, I called the CoralVue main line a couple times and the number posted above and both went straight to voicemail with no response. I Really hope I can get an answer from this group. Thanks in advance.
Crap ... after this I just found there is a V3. Will that work on the ReefWave 45? And ... is it for sale? I can't find any for sale online.

Last edited:

beolson25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called a second time and Jeff answered. He will look into the v3 information and let me know. He took my number to call me back.

Thanks Jeff.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back