Battle with dust algae

amahairas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank running for a few months now. I cycled the tank with microbacters cycling kit, the cycle went great and was done within a couple of weeks. This sort of dust algae appeared about two weeks ago and then some GHA. I added 3 emerald crabs to keep up with the hair algae but now the dust algae is back and every morning after the lights are on for about 2 hours this is how the tank looks. Phosphates are 0.2 and nitrates around 5. I suspect the nitrates are the biggest issue here, but just wanted to get some other opinions on how to battle this stuff.

9E590145-21C5-4AFE-A367-1C62FBA1F4DE.jpeg

Thomas Danho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
3a7a99a9703532ec3fd61083a4d5ac49.jpg

Are you sure this isn't blue green cyanobacteria?
This is a common problem and most people battle algae with chemicals.
If you would like a way to beat your algae problem, Detox your water, and feed your coral check out some live Phyto options.

OP
OP
A

amahairas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank running for a few months now. I cycled the tank with microbacters cycling kit, the cycle went great and was done within a couple of weeks. This sort of dust algae appeared about two weeks ago and then some GHA. I added 3 emerald crabs to keep up with the hair algae but now the dust algae is back and every morning after the lights are on for about 2 hours this is how the tank looks. Phosphates are 0.2 and nitrates around 5. I suspect the nitrates are the biggest issue here, but just wanted to get some other opinions on how to battle this stuff.

9E590145-21C5-4AFE-A367-1C62FBA1F4DE.jpeg
Nitrates is down closer to 0, (API test kit, yea I know I need to upgrade) The weird thing to me is that it goes away at night and comes back the next day.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With other tank params and equipment you're running might be easier for us to help.
But after only a month or two sounds like you are just going through new tank syndrome which can go on for a bit. Don't get discouraged.
Send a bit more info and we'll do the best we can.

OP
OP
A

amahairas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With other tank params and equipment you're running might be easier for us to help.
But after only a month or two sounds like you are just going through new tank syndrome which can go on for a bit. Don't get discouraged.
Send a bit more info and we'll do the best we can.
kH - 8
Cal - 420
Amm- 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate - ~0
Phosphate - 0.25
I run a reef octopus 150int skimmer that is pretty well dialed in and pulls some good DARK green skimmate
GFO/Carbon dual reactor - half cup or so GFO probably is time to change as the phosphate is back up a bit but I've been trying to keep it just above 0
3 emerald crabs, 3 nassarius snail, tomini tang (went in yesterday), and a pair of clowns.

Should I be cleaning this stuff off the sand and rocks or am I better to just leave it and let it burn itself out? I've been raking the sand and turkey basting the rocks pretty much daily cause I hate the color. I just reset this tank after being out of the hobby for a few years and Im just trying to get it back to its glory days ASAP lol

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That algae can get pretty annoying, especially when you have to clean it off your glass everyday, that’s somthing most people just have to deal with until the tank matures, usually by the time your tank is a year old it should not be so bad.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Might just have to manually remove for a bit.
Sounds like you have all the right equipment and you understand it also. Way more stuff than I got LoL.
Maybe not enough nutrients?
Seems maybe a little too clean?
Phytoplankton works wonders. It will out compete.

OP
OP
A

amahairas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Might just have to manually remove for a bit.
Sounds like you have all the right equipment and you understand it also. Way more stuff than I got LoL.
Maybe not enough nutrients?
Seems maybe a little too clean?
Phytoplankton works wonders. It will out compete.
Hadn't thought of phyto before, could be a good idea. I'll definitely look into that one.

Thats what I was thinking was that it may be too clean. I've been dirty feeding the tank and just watching my phosphates and nitrates to make sure I'm not spiking anything, but its all staying pretty clean. Guess its just the waiting game.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know rushing it in this hobby is no bueno.
I get frustrated sometimes too.
The tang will help dirty and clean it up at the same time. Try a few things here and there slowly and I mean slowly.
I learned in this hobby to do one thing at a time otherwise I didn't know if what I did worked or not.
I write everything in a note pad. Sorry just old school that way.
Best of luck. If you need anything just ask.
Joel

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back