Battle With GHA in a tank where removing rock is not possible

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've been dealing with GHA in my currently fishless few month old 15 gallon. Due to the way rocks are set up, I cannot remove them to scub at GHA. I do pluck GHA by hand daily though. What are some other steps to take towards treatment? Ive been preforming weekly 20% WCS and plucking GHA by hand as I said, and have reduced my already light feeding.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to identify the source problem that is causing your GHA typically water parameters and lighting. What are you current numbers?

Diverse clean up crew works well. Tuxedo urchin and turbo snail mow down GHA in my tank fast.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another remedy is keeping magnesium 1500 to 1600. I do this in my tank and the GHA turns white and dies off too but if you have chaeto it can hurt it too.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to identify the source problem that is causing your GHA typically water parameters and lighting. What are you current numbers?

Diverse clean up crew works well. Tuxedo urchin and turbo snail mow down GHA in my tank fast.
Tank receives some light from the window, that could be part of it. Its also quite young and started with dry rock. Ive got a few kinds of snails, but could do with a turbo or two and maybe the tuxedo. Thanks

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lavey29, tuxedo/shortspine and some turbos will annihilate it. I would only get one urchin in a tank that size. They eat all day long and will go for coraline also.

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lavey29, tuxedo/shortspine and some turbos will annihilate it. I would only get one urchin in a tank that size. They eat all day long and will go for coraline also.
Hey there. Not trying to take over OPs thread, but would you say that 2 tuxedo or 1 tuxedo and 1 pincushion urchin would be too much for a 30 gallon?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I will just add that I had a decent GHA outbreak and after manual removal and control of nutrients my turbos took care alot of it.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Drop them right in the middle of the underwater forest and make them eat a trail to escape.
I try, but the main problem areas are on the sides of the rockwork...and it is too large to remove. Grrrr.

Just ordered 20 scarlet hermits to add to the CUC (Yellow tang, Bristletooth tang, turbos, astreas, ceriths, tuxedos and now scarlets). Oh, GFO too. FWIW, I would not use GFO again as it is waaay too messy and I got the High Capacity version from BRS which supposedly has less fines in it than the standard. I'll try RowaPhos next.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one mentioned live phyto dosing. Worked wonders on the algae and cyano I was dealing with. All natural and nothing but beneficial for the tank.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no scientist or biologist. I just know that after a few weeks my tank has never looked better. Without plankton our entire ocean ecosystem would collapse. Just makes sense to keep it in our tanks also.

Back