Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Sushitheshiba, how did you do this side-by-side photo thing That is a great way to see the growth...

1ed5ebee-7e7e-4d54-b65d-22cd5aefaffd-jpeg.843865

Sept submission. Lagging on the encrusting compared to everyone since I’m still trying to figure out a spot for it (moved it around quite a bit). Also trying to raise the nutrients since I believed I bottomed out the phosphates last month. I think I also found a good spot for measuring it more accurately compared to the entry pic lol

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a ton of par. I took some readings with a par meter known not to be great for leds, which I have and got 350+ par in most locations on the rock and 200+ on the sand and my sps were paling big time.

I turned back my lights by about 30-40% and color started up. Everyone’s tank is different though.

My frag is sitting in about 275. I have been gradually raising my alk over the past 3 weeks. I am sitting at 9.1-9.3, up from around 7.8. I am curious to see how all of my frags react over time. I am seeing new growth on some already.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag looks to be behind on encrusting compared to most of the others thus far. I am hoping it picks up this month.

I have several other frags that seem to be liking the increased alk and are really showing some growth. Fingers crossed here.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag is sitting in about 275. I have been gradually raising my alk over the past 3 weeks. I am sitting at 9.1-9.3, up from around 7.8. I am curious to see how all of my frags react over time. I am seeing new growth on some already.
I would guess mine is sitting in a smiliar par though my alk has recently been dropping from a high around 9 to 7.8 as of testing a couple hours ago. If it keep dropping I will need to (re)start my doser most likely.

I had stopped dosing due to trying kalk and overdoing it, so have been letting alk drop naturally.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it took me 6 months of learning via trial and error to lock in a pretty solid alk level within my tank through using a calcium reactor and doser, and Im pretty surprised that some of the corals I have in the tank are still around now and starting to do pretty good. I've gotten away from testing unless something seems off and now only try to do so 1x a month. I'd do more if I had the time. The good news is when I retested from last month levels are pretty much the same, minus the phos increase as I have been increasing my feeding to the tank, going from 0 to .1. Now I just gotta figure out the best levels for lighting!

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know rules state that the ruler be in the same place, but what if growth/encrusting eventually doesn’t allow the same placement?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do your best. I doubt the ruler will even be the deciding factor when Adam chooses the winner. He will probably just look at all pics and see what looks to have growth the most overall.

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, your frag looks nice and healthy, and like most entries I've seen so far the growth has been primarily 'horizontal.' From what others have said who have had this coral for a while it seems its one of those acros that likes to lie down a nice solid foundation before shooting up branches. Apparently, once it has encrusted its vertical growth is pretty rapid.
My entry frag is in the majority....after 7 weeks in my tank I see no discernible vertical growth, but I am pleased with the encrustment and the color is even better than when I first put it in my tank (and I thought it was stunning even then). The teal corallite tips contrast well against the purple blue base and its polyps are almost always out.

36 days worth of encrusting:

820snipe2.jpg

topdownseptSnipe.jpg

I fiddled with the 'warmth' setting in snapseed on yesterday's photo to get as close to the true color of the Snipers as I could and except that there is a bit too much lavender in the top right branch and the leading growth edge of the base is bleached out, the color is pretty much spot on....I think we can all agree our new Snipers are going to be one of our tanks' superstars

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 92 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 109 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back