Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur fixture gets that hot?
I can touch mine
Plus I have an open top canopy so none of the heat get trapped
I prolly should have a small silent fan just bringing in new air couldn’t hurt

It gets pretty warm for sure. I will be able to adjust how long the halide is on for though once I have the other lighting over the tank. That will help. The temp hits 81 with the ac off. The cooler days are also helping.

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hydra 52 over my contest frag has been out for at least 2 days. I went out of town on Wednesday and when I came back Friday it was off. I’ve been messing with it ever since and I think the problem is fixed. Hoping to get my picture in by the end of the day.

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can also say that the frags still being pretty new is able to take a few parameter swings as I started to dose Kalk along with my ATI two part and my alk went from 7.5 to 9.5 and calcium from 410 to 460 over two or three days. All pieces still look good. But I’ll say that was due to a fairly slow rise and I brought it back down over a week or two back to the normal. Everything still looking great and the frag is definitely basing out pretty nice. Along with some good color.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately I am out. What was left of my snipes frag RTN. It sucks, especially now when 90% of the acorpora in my tank are doing so well.

Good Luck to everyone!!! I will be following along to see how everyone does.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately I am out. What was left of my snipes frag RTN. It sucks, especially now when 90% of the acorpora in my tank are doing so well.

Good Luck to everyone!!! I will be following along to see how everyone does.
I hate to hear that. Thanks for keeping us updated though. What caused it?

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea??? I did raise my alk slowly over about 3 weeks to 9.1-9,3, but this is the only coral that seemed upset. It started STN from the bottom so I dipped it and then fragged it to try and save it.

I dipped a few other frags just to make sure i don't have a pest problem, but nothing showed up except the isopod that came off the snipes. I researched that and found out it is a reef safe isopod.

I can't seem to keep the bubblebath either. I have tried twice and both times it RTN within 3 days of adding to my tank.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea??? I did raise my alk slowly over about 3 weeks to 9.1-9,3, but this is the only coral that seemed upset. It started STN from the bottom so I dipped it and then fragged it to try and save it.

I dipped a few other frags just to make sure i don't have a pest problem, but nothing showed up except the isopod that came off the snipes. I researched that and found out it is a reef safe isopod.

I can't seem to keep the bubblebath either. I have tried twice and both times it RTN within 3 days of adding to my tank.

That's odd for sure. Both corals seem pretty resilient for me. Hope you get it figured out.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took some time and actually took some decent photos I didn’t realize how much mine has based out
10EC31F7-E78D-4617-9BFF-760D87EEB9F9.jpeg

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 09/30/2018
Not much growth, but I can see it will start to take off soon ;-)
Waiting for my ICP test results to adjust my Steroids...…

I pasted below at the bottom the last months top view for comparison.

Here is a top picture from a month ago with the entry.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month update (1 day early) no intentional changes over this month. Frag’s looking good.
Alk 7.45
NO3 25 (yes this has gone through the roof unexpectedly w/o any changes in tank)
PO4 0.06
Triton test from 9/26 shows calcium at 600+ !!
16949A83-34AD-46F1-8947-FBE5FF08C22E.png

89237E28-5E29-439B-95BB-617E4EA499A5.png

New triton test added to my Sept entry. Not sure how calcium can be 622ppm in my tank - but everyone in there looks happy. I think it’s a real reading, because my Red Sea pro test kit can’t make blue colors with 1ml of reagent (i.e. over 500ppm). So I’ve cut the dosing 80% and hoping it falls slowly.

My big problem is I have to be out of town this week - so a big dosing change and no testing for 6 days has me worried!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New triton test added to my Sept entry. Not sure how calcium can be 622ppm in my tank - but everyone in there looks happy. I think it’s a real reading

Using the calculator, your salinity from Triton is smidge less than 35ppt. So the rest of the ions are within range and salinity still isn't high with Ca ~35% high

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are sky high, so high in fact that two weeks ago they were off the chart. I've changed 180 gallons in the last two weeks and they are now down to 50 :). I've always had super high nitrates and I'm happy whenever they are down to around 25. Question is, usually I wait until they are down to 25 to start feeding my system again but because of the contest I'm leaning towards feeding now while continuing to do my increased water change schedule. I will probably change about 360 gallons of water on my system for the month of October. Thoughts?

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5331.jpg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think doing twice my normal amount of water changes will make up for the fact that the nitrates are twice the level I want them to be at before I start feeding again?
I am not sure as I have never had mine that high. I think water changes will only help if your nitrates are not raising faster than you are doing the water changes.

Honestly with how your corals look, I am not sure I would be changing too much. I think most are trying to achieve what you have already done.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn’t a competition I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m just trying to put my tank back on steroids as quick as possible.
That is what bit me in the butt, lol. I felt my tank was "perfect" but then I wanted to get a head start on people by feeding a lot of reef roids. Horrible mistake! I ended up with a nutrient spike which just set me behind.

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what bit me in the butt, lol. I felt my tank was "perfect" but then I wanted to get a head start on people by feeding a lot of reef roids. Horrible mistake! I ended up with a nutrient spike which just set me behind.

I was following your thread. The Sun God looks fine too me. But yea, I’m trying to be careful of that by doubling my water change amount to offset it. Luckily for me my nutrient level is always dark dark red.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back